Ingeborg Starck (Von Bronsart) 1840-1913

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 04 August 2012, 10:32

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Ingeborg Von Bronsart Born (Ingeborg Lena Starck) 24.8.1840 St.Petersburg, Russia - Died 17.8.1913 Munich, Germany
Her parents were Swedish.  She first studied piano with Nicolas von Martinov and Adolf  Henselt and and composition with Constantin Decker, subsequnetly completing her studies with Liszt in Weimar.  For several years she toured parts of Europe as a concert pianist.  In 1862 she married a fellow member of the Weimar/Liszt circle, Baron Hans  Bronsart von Schellendorf.  They had two children *

Orchestral

Piano Concerto in F sharp minor  1862  presumed lost.
'Kaiser Wilhelm' march 1871  also a version for piano solo.  pub. by Bote & Bock

Chamber

Fantasie for violin and piano  Op.21 1891  pub. by Kahnt
Romanze in A minor for violin and piano  1873 pub. by Kuhn
Notturno in A minor  for cello and piano  Op.13  pub. by Breitkopf & Hartel
Elegie in C for cello and piano  Op.14  1879  pub. by Breitkopf & Hartel
Romance in B flat for cello and piano  Op.15 pub. by Breitkopf & Hartel
Fantasie for cello and piano

Piano

Three Etudes Op.18 1855  pub. by Bernard, St Petersburg
Fantasia in G minor  Op.8
Fantasie melancolique
Three Phantasies in G sharp minor
Four pieces  1874  pub. by Schott
Fugues  1859
Fugue urber die Namen Maria und Martha (von Sabinin)  1859
Nocturne  1855  pub. by Bernard, St Petersburg
Tarantella  1855 pub. by Bernard, St Petersburg
Toccata
Two Lullabies  pub. by Schott
Two Sonatas
Valse caprice and impromptu  pub. by Schott
Variations on themes by Bach 
Kaiser Wilhelm March  1871

Song

Blumengruss  words by Goethe 1888
Die Loreley  words by Heinrich Heine pub. by Schott
Im Lenz  words by Paul Heyse
Five lieder  words by Goethe, August von Platen and Friedrich Ruckert
Six lieder  1. Zuleikha, 2. Im Garten klagt die Nachtigall, 3. Wenn der Fruhling auf die Berge steigt, 4. Gelb rollt mir Fussen, 5. Die helle Sonne leuchtet, 6. Ich fuhle deinen Odem.  words by von Bodenstedt after Mirza Schaffy  Op.8
Hafisa:  Three lieder  words by von Bodenstedt after Mirza Schaffy  Op.9
Six Poems:  1. Mir traumte einst ein scgoener Traum, 2. Abschied vom Kaukasus, 3. Wie lachein die Augen, 4. Nachtigall, o Nachtigall, 5. Das Voglein, 6. Singe, mit Sonnenaufgang sing  words by von Bodenstedt.  Op.10
Five Christmas lieder  words by Jacobi. Op.11
Five Poems words by von Bodenstedt  Op.12
Roslein auf Haiden  words by Richard Voss
Five Poems:  1. Abenlied, 2. Standchen, 3. Zwei Strausse, 4. Der Blumenstrauss, 5. Letzte Bitte.  words by Ernst von Wildenbruch  Op.16
Twelve Nursery Rhymes  words by Klaus Groth  Op.17
Six Poems  words by Michail Lermantov  Op.20
Three Poems  words by Peter Cornelius  Op.22
Three lieder:  words by Goethe, August von Platen and Nicolaus Lenau Op.23
Rappelle-toi! words by Alfred de Musset Op.24
Three lieder  words by Goethe, Heinrich Heine and von Bodenstedt  Op.25
Absschied  words by Felix Dahn  Op.26
Three lieder  words by A Dunker, E Neubauer and H Zeise
Three lieder  No.3 'Ich hab'im Traumgeweinet. words by Heinrich Heine, and O Roquette 
Und ob der holde Tag vergangen
Wie dich die warme Luft umscherzt

Choral

Hurrah Germania!  for male voice choir  pub. by Schluter
Kennst du die rothe Rose?  for soloists and choir  pub. by Kuhn
Easter lied for choir  Op.27 1903

Opera

'Die Goettin zu Sais, oder Linas und Liane'  1867
'Jery und Baetly' (after Goethe) 1873  pub. by Kahnt
'Koenig Hierne'  1891
'Manfred'  9after Byron)
'Die SÜhne'  1909

Klara Wilhelma  1864 - 1937
Fritz George Heinrich Konstanz  1868 - 1918

Gareth Vaughan

Giles,

Do you know how much (if any) of the chamber music was published, and the whereabouts of the PC score? I had a half-hearted search for the latter some years ago, but failed to come up with anything positive.

kyjo

A shame if her PC would be lost/missing/destroyed. It would make the perfect coupling with the Bronsart PC on an RPC disc :(.

Mark Thomas

I think that we're talking Holy Grails, there. Irrespective of whether his wife's Piano Concerto can be traced, it's still high time that there was a modern recording of Bronsart von Schellendorf's magnificent echt-romantik concerto.

Alan Howe

Mark is 100% right here. Above all, we need an up-to-date recording of her husband's magnificent PC.

kyjo

I agree with you, Mark and Alan that the Bronsart PC badly needs a new recording irregardless of the whereabouts of his wife's PC. I was just saying that it would be ideal to have this coupling. There are whispers of Hyperion bringing out the Bronsart. What would be a good coupling for the Bronsart (slightly off topic,sorry :))? My vote would go for the Boise PC (mentioned in another thread) if it is still extant.

Alan Howe

Having mentioned the husband's PC, let's not get too distracted from the topic...

kyjo

Well, we'll just have to see what Hyperion has in store for the Bronsart. Well, back to Ingeborg!

eschiss1

In addition to solo songs there's also some choral music, like the Osterlied (Passover-song? Easter-song?) in E major for mixed choir, Op.27 published 1903 (first line Die Engel spielen noch ums Grab , text by August von Platen) scanned in by the Munich Library.

According to RISM it seems at least some of her 1-act setting of Jery und Bately in complete parts survives - two numbers from it? - at the Weimar Library (appropriately...) (and the vocal score as published by Kahnt at many libraries. I think BSB - Munich library I mean has the full choral-orchestral score, but I may not be reading right again. If so, then performance may indeed be possible of this at least of her larger choral/orchestral/operatic works...)

Correction in re Jery & Bätely: what looks like a proof copy (used in preparing the first run of performances, with composer's corrections?? "Aufführungsmaterial") of the full score, partially manuscript, of this opera, is not only at BSB but has been scanned in by them.

giles.enders

I have been trying to find the piano concerto for some years without success. I am hoping it will resurface some time.  With reference to the Bronsart, I did suggest to Sterling that they would make an ideal coupling but again we couldn't find the Starck piano concerto. I am reminded that several years ago when the hunt was on for the Kullack and Dreyshock piano concertos, one of these was found in a job lot which had been bought at auction by a Japanese collector.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteWell, we'll just have to see what Hyperion has in store for the Bronsart. Well, back to Ingeborg!

The last time I spoke to Mike Spring about the Bronsart PC he was thinking of coupling it with the Urspruch. It is still on Hyperion's list of PCs to record.

JimL

OMG!  The Urspruch is huge!  It'll be dwarfed!  How about the Stavenhagen B minor instead?

eschiss1

BTW re worklist the piano solo fantasy is opus 18. BSB and St. Pancras have copies (though not scanned in.)

kyjo

Isn't CPO bringing out the Urspruh PC with his symphony :o. Also, I don't really think the Urspruch is an appropriate coupling with the Bronsart; the Bronsart is a barnstorming, virtuostic cracker of a piece, the Urspruch is a laid back, melodic, but long piece! It's quite lovely, though, and has a unique open-air feel. But surely there must be more appropriate couplings for the Bronsart; the Stavenhagen badly needs a new recording, and we wouldn't need two recordings of the Urspruch, that is, if CPO ever releases it ::)!

Mark Thomas

Let's not get carried away. This isn't really an appropriate discussion to have on this board. Eric has started a Bronsart coupling thread here and so can any further replies which aren't about Ingeborg Starck go there please?