Heraclius Djabadary (1891-1937)

Started by kyjo, Wednesday 08 August 2012, 01:31

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Aaargh, I am so jealous of you, fr8nks ;D! I can't find a reasonably priced copy anywhere >:(! But then again, the PC is on Youtube...

mikehopf

I've got a couple of LPs by Djabadary which contain fairly comprehensive biographies both of which state his death in Nice as on 18 August 1937.

I'd love to hear his opera: Goulnara!

I don't think that the LP of his piano & cello works has yet been transfered to CD.

If not, and if there is a demand for them, I'll be pleased to upload it

kyjo

Mikehopf, any uploads of Djabadary would be greatly appreciated, if you have the time, of course :)! I love cello and piano works (especially from the late romantic period) and no doubt I would enjoy the contents of that LP. I'm drawing the conclusion that Djabadary's death year is 1937; after all, Mike Herman is never wrong ;D! I'm glad I posted the comment that no one appeared interested in Djabadary: it's become a two-pager in less than 24 hours ;D!

eschiss1

MusicSack cites Feofanov and Ho (A biographical dictionary of Russian and Soviet composers, 1989) as their source for a 1937 death year.
mikehopf- the Nougarol/Strauch LP produced by the Djabadary association in the 1970s? Sounds interesting- sure :)

mikehopf

The requested Djabadary Piano & Cello works has now been uploaded to the Russian & Soviet files.. Enjoy!

kyjo

Gerhard Griesel

As a result of a recent UC mention I have discovered Djabadary on YouTube, to my utter delight. I see that the link to mikehopf's download of more Djabadary works on UC is inactive. Could someone revitalise the link or add a new download please?

adriano

This Quantum CD is a re-iussue of a Voxigrave LP, released in 1981 and recorded in 1980. As far as I remember, the composer's daughter Adeline had financed it. The only dispappointing piece of this recording is, in my opinion, "La Mélopée du Serpent".

semloh

I am listening to my folder of music by Djabadary, and couldn't resist expressing my liking for it - especially the Piano Concerto (1921) - principally because, as noted earlier in this old thread, Hurwitz called it "The World's cheesiest piano concerto" on the "CD from hell". 

Slushy, romantic, kitsch - and thoroughly enjoyable for a confirmed cheese lover!  ;D

FBerwald

There seems to be no wiki entry for this composer.

eschiss1

Not on English Wikipedia, but on Russian Wikipedia and on Georgian-language (ka.wikipedia) Wiki. Russian language link is Heraclius Djabadary (Джабадари, Ираклий). Georgian language Wikipedia gives birth year as 1892, btw (though Russian agrees with us re 1891.)

Musicsack gives only 1891 for birthyear but does give Erekle as a alternate transliteration of his first name (from the - Georgian or Russian? - original.) However, mistakenly gives that he was born in Georgia, USA...

Alan Howe

Christopher

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 10 May 2017, 11:43

Musicsack gives only 1891 for birthyear but does give Erekle as an alternate transliteration of his first name (from the - Georgian or Russian? - original.) However, mistakenly gives that he was born in Georgia, USA...

Irakli (sometimes transliterated as Erekle) is the Georgian equivalent of Heraclius or Hercules.  It's one of the most popular boy's names in Georgia.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Saint-Saëns, the youth of Heraclius :)
Alkan, Héraclite et Démocrite (ok, derived names...)
To answer the first question posed in this thread 5 years ago,
Worldcat does list, besides the piano solo works, as available somewhere, his Rhapsodie géorgienne for piano and orchestra (in a 2-piano reduction by Chotha Djabadary, though, so this may still not count. Chotha Djabadary also published the work, in Paris in 1947.)
The 3rd piano concerto Op.10 in A major (again in reduction, same publisher, 1976) is at libraries in Osnabrück and Bremen.
The prelude for cello or violin alone mentioned above was published by Durand of Paris in 1953. A fair number of libraries to stock it.

Other works:
the manuscript (full score?) of the 3rd concerto @ the Bibliothèque Nationale de France.
variations for cello and piano on a Hungarian song, Op.23 (1930, published 1942, by Djabadary and also by Gallet and other French publishers too)- again, quite a few libraries really...
Orchestral works Les Dindons Op.20 (ca.1919) and Boléro ("H. Djabadary Paris le 7 février 1935." (so is signed a piano reduction...)), Concerto no.2 "Hongrois" in F minor Op.9, and other works, in manuscript (sometimes in the composer's hand, sometimes his brother Chotha's) at BNF too.

BNF also has a cello concerto (No.2, D minor, Op.15, autograph solo part dated 1924 exists) by him in manuscript piano reduction- will have to see if they also have a score of that... didn't know he -wrote- cello concertos. Apparently concerto 1 Op.11 in C Souvenir de Hongrie "On n'a gardé qu'une partie pour chaque pupitre de cordes (sur 6 parties de 1er viol., 6 de 2° viol., 4 d'alto, 3 de violoncelle, 3 de cbasse)." - don't know if that says anything about whether the accompaniment was _only_ for strings besides only one part being kept for each string part (thank goodness for photocopy, nowdays.) Costallat published this concerto in some form in 1944, and the concerto seems to date from 1920 if not earlier- (Full score in Chotha's hand but signed and dated by the composer, manuscript 1920, Vienna.) Re the 2nd concerto, the full score manuscript has a notation "A réorchestrer. Ce concerto avait été orchestrer [sic] par moi [=Chotha, his brother] en 1938. Il y a des choses à prendre et aussi pas mal de passages à changer."