Heraclius Djabadary (1891-1937)

Started by kyjo, Wednesday 08 August 2012, 01:31

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Apologies for the mercurial and long preceding post. It does seem that his brother was responsible for some of his orchestrations, but if Chotha was better at some things than Heraclius, then given that they would appear(???? I'm assuming, anyways) to have largely worked together (when possible; the 2nd cello concerto in D minor of 1924 (see above) was largely orchestrated a year after Heraclius' death, for instance), a collaboration for the listener's benefit is a good thing.

If you didn't know Heraclius wrote 2 cello concertos and only knew of the 3 piano concertos, yep, definitely see above...

(The insistence that composers preferably do everything themselves is fairly new historically and seems, with musical theatre and its division of labor (I've gotten used to the fact that even my favorites, eg Sondheim, don't generally do their own orchestrations; still favorite...) to be coming to something of a close- but anyway...)

Mark Thomas

Off topic, but apropos Irakli: I had a holiday in Soviet Georgia in 1987. One vivid memory is the plethora of statues there to King Irakli II, a national hero I was told. Never realised that the name was derived from Hercules, though it's obvious once it's pointed out. Now, back to Djabadary of that ilk...

Christopher

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 10 May 2017, 20:06King Irakli II

He was the penultimate king of (Eastern) Georgia (Bagrationi dynasty): he unified the two separate kingdoms of Kartli and Kakheti in 1762 and reduced and then ended Persian overlordship.  He also negotiated a treaty of protection with Russia, although the Russians stood by when the Persians re-invaded in 1795, intervening in 1796 only after the country was almost totally destroyed. His son and heir George XII (reigned 1798-1800) never stood much of a chance, and soon after his death the Russians annexed the country (1801).  The perils of asking for Russian "protection" - they never leave....

The Bagrationi family were exiled into Russia and across Europe.

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Christopher, but we really should get back to the music.

Christopher

You do always say that.  But I think a SMALL bit of historical context is both useful and interesting.  I certainly like it when others do the same. I suspect that all that there is to be said about Djabadary has now been said.

It's just a bit of an unnecessary put-down, that's what I am basically saying. It is certainly taken as such, even if not written as such; but as is always said, writers must be aware of how things written might be read. Had I, or anyone, gone off into ancient history, then the reprimand would have been called for. But I wrote 6 lines.

I know you appreciate feedback from members.

Mark Thomas

No put down intended, and none need have been inferred. My thanks were genuine and, after all, it was I who created the diversion. Moderation really can be a thankless task!

eschiss1

"all that... Djabadary has now been said."

Whether I personally agree with this statement waits on my hearing such of his music as has been recorded (and there seems to be a large amount of larger works of his that maybe haven't- symphonic poems for example and other works as above, etc. ...? if my guess is right that basically the only orchestral works that have been recorded of his are 3 of his concertos, more or less and give or take) - but ok! :)

Christopher

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Thursday 11 May 2017, 19:31
No put down intended, and none need have been inferred. My thanks were genuine and, after all, it was I who created the diversion. Moderation really can be a thankless task!

For the record - I am very grateful to the moderators for running this website.  I love it and have learnt so much. 

(By the way, don't diversions have a musical equivalent? Divertimenti? Or is that twisting translation too far? :D)

Alan Howe

I wish. This is more like a moderator's lot:

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

dhibbard

I own the CD (2 copies) and the LP from the same label.  Good stuff... worthy of adding to the collection.

Joachim Raff

Our friend David having fun again. Here is the link for folk who have not seen it yet.
https://youtu.be/66aIdmhXnQs

dhibbard

Interesting comments from David Hurwitz.  I think his works need to be viewed in the context of the time period.

tpaloj

I strongly disagree with Mr. Hurwitz about this one. I find the first movement completely charming, it occupies this egyptian-orient sound world which to me sounds original and refreshing when not taken too seriously. I can agree the later movements would be better forgotten than heard. There are much better contenders for the title of worst Piano Concerto out there – personally I find Ernest Pingoud's 1st PC handily occupying the first place on that list but that's another story.

Many (if not all?) Heraclius' compositions were "revised" by his brother Chotha after Heraclius' death. Whether Chotha was a better composer, who improved Heraclius' work, or whether it was the opposite, we can only guess. Some years ago I tried obtaining some copies of Heraclius' manuscripts from the BNF, but denied: in their view his compositions were still under copyright – thanks to Chotha, who BNF saw as the intellectual author of Heraclius' works. We can forget about getting to know Heraclius' music a little better, then, considering I would have had to track down one of their heirs who happened to own the rights – no thanks to that!

Gerhard Griesel

I also disagree with Mr. Hurwitz. I think it is an exciting work, especially the first movement. It has a rhythmic 'catch' to it which is delightful.