News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ruggiero Ricci (1918-2012)

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 07 August 2012, 05:43

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Too many deaths of deservedly notable musicians lately (including pianist Mihaela Ursuleasa (1978-2012) whose repertoire was also wide and also a fine musician I gather) and I don't know if this is at all an appropriate forum for noting any such, but I thought I would, since Ricci has, I gather, done quite a lot for music now and then unsung, and always, I gather (unfortunately as yet I haven't heard that many of his recordings- a lack I must rectify) - always with spirit, conviction, idiosyncrasy, not at all a mere and boring museum-like presentation of the sort that will be the death I do think not just of the best unsung but of the best arts in general.

JimL

He played the world premiere LP performance of Saint-Saëns' VC 2.  I think he was also the soloist in the first LP performance of the same composer's VC 1 that I ever heard, although I don't recall if that was the world premiere recording.

chill319

In the late 1950s Ricci's performances of several violin concertos were my introductions to those works, and very fine introductions they were, too, even if the performances are no longer my favorites. Ricci found something personal to say in every piece I've heard him play.

kyjo

I'm now a full member ;D! My introduction to the Khachaturian VC was through Ricci's performance, available on a much-treasured Double Decca with K's (abbreviation becomes necessary with Russians!) PC with de Larrocha (a fine but rather slow performance), his Masquerade Suite with Stanley Black, and his Symphony 2 conducted by the composer himself (which I mentioned in the Unsung Monumental Symphonies thread). The sound is okay, but acceptable. Did Ricci perform any unsung works?

alberto

Quite a lot (see Ricci huge discography on the web).
Among the recordings I own, come to mind the Bottesini Gran Duo Concertante and the Menotti Violin Concerto. 

Alan Howe

violinconcerto

Quote from: kyjo on Thursday 09 August 2012, 04:45
Did Ricci perform any unsung works?

Ricci played the world premieres of such unsung concerti like Gottfried von Einem, Alberto Ginastera, Gail Kubik 2, Gerard Schurmann, Carlos Veerhoff and the Fantasy and Caprice by Henry Brant.

Best,
Tobias
www.violinconcerto.de

eschiss1

Well, for example, a disc "Ruggiero Ricci - hidden treasures" contains some interesting material or at least, out of the way things (Walton, Vecsey, Müllenbach...). He is also credited (hopefully correctly- attribution is not always accurate with some of these things) with performing / recording (possibly pirate recordings in some cases, here) the violin concertos of Alberto Ginastera, Carlos Veerhoff, the violin sonata of Erno Dohnanyi, several Lalo concertos (F major, Norwegian fantasy, etc.); also Hoddinott's violin sonata in a BBC broadcast in 1969, for example...

kyjo

Sorry for my ignorance :-[! So Ricci DID perform a lot of unsung works! I guess Saint-Saens VCs 1 and 2 (I listened to both recently, undeservedly neglected pieces) are considered unsung here ;D!

Alan Howe

Quote from: kyjo on Thursday 09 August 2012, 17:47
I guess Saint-Saens VCs 1 and 2 (I listened to both recently, undeservedly neglected pieces) are considered unsung here ;D!

They are unsung anywhere. Only No.3 gets any regular playtime - and, as for concerts, well, even this wonderful piece struggles.

kyjo

I'm just saying that they're sung compared to many of the pieces we discuss here at UC ;D!

Alan Howe

No, they're unsung (even though they've been recorded.).