"Fast and furious" piano concerto codas

Started by Ilja, Wednesday 13 May 2009, 10:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Peter1953 wrote:"Interesting piano concertos are passed in review, some of which I have never heard off (e.g. a few on Ilja's list). Although the topic concerns the opening, I suggest we expand the thread to cover stirring con fuoco  finales as well.

Which post classical and romantic neglected piano concerto has a "fast and furious" finale?

For me the standard of the sung PC's is Saint-Saëns 2.

Unsung examples are in my opinion – here we go again – Henselt, Moscheles 3 and Scharwenka 4. However, none of these three examples beat the Saint-Saëns, I think. Which "fast & furious" finales do you have in mind?"

I've always had a soft spot for Scharwenka's Second Concerto, even though for much of the coda, the piano doesn't do anything. But it's definitely 'furious'

Other good ones include:
- Darius Milhaud's Carnaval d'Aix (not strictly a concerto, though)
- Dohnányi #1
- De Greef # 1 & #2 (Particularly Nr. 2 has a very careful build-up, recycling snippets from earlier movements)
- Charles Smulders' Piano Concerto (IMO the best piano concerto ever written by a Dutchman)
- Siefried Langgaard's Piano Concerto (Big, but without bombast, one of my favourite concertos)
- Again (sorry) Atterberg's Piano Concerto
- Bortkiewicz #3
- Pavel Pabst's Piano Concerto
- Stojowski #1
- Widor's Piano Concerto

And if you're one for OTT codas try Stavenhagen's first concerto, including the dramatic two last notes from the soloist.

orff

Having posted lists of openings and closings, now you need to initiate a thread on "miraculous and marvelous middles" of piano concertos.  That topic has to be worth a few additional lists essentially of the same works!   ::)

Peter1953

Good point, orff!

So here are some serious additions (but in no way something like Saint-Saëns' firework in his #2):

Sgambati, op. 15
Peter Benoit, op. 43b with a final movement called Fantastic Hunt in the Night  ;)

Steven Eldredge

Well, at the risk of repeating myself from an earlier post, I cast my vote for the closing pages of the Hummel a minor Concerto, Opus 85. When Stephen Hough played it at Mostly Mozart here in NYC several years back, the audience went mad. Exciting and thrilling beyond belief. He took it at a breakneck tempo and didn't miss a hemi-semi-demi quaver.

If we are going to mention beautiful slow movements, I adore the Paderewski. Also the slow movement of the Sauer Concerto is lovely. As is the Henselt.

And for years I thought I was the only one who loved odd, off-the-beaten-track piano concertos!

Steve B

Steven, dont worry; you are now(by no means!) alone in your love of the obscure 19th century gems!!! :)

Peter1953, the WHOLE of the Sgambati is WHOLLy mad, particuarly the first movement. Some wild, mad contrasts from sad to manically happy; and zany tuttis

JimL

Here are some more wild and wooly codas to finales of Romantic PCs, some less sung than others:

Rubi 1
Rubi 3
MacDowell 1
MacDowell 2
Fuchs
Kiel
Litolff CS 3
Moscheles 7
Hummel 3 (or 4, depending on whose numbering you go by), Op. 89
Brull 2

BTW Steve B. you mentioned Michael Ponti in conjunction with Reinecke's PC 2.  It was Gerald Robbins who did the Reinecke 2nd.  Ponti only did the 1st.

Steve B

Sorry, Jim. I ALWAYS get the Reineckes the wrong way round!

Steve

John H White

I'd like to add the end of the finale of Fuchs's Piano Concerto Op. 27. I reckon that this work generally has a lot more "go" in it than either of his 3 symphonies.

JimL

Look at my list, John.  Glad you think the same of the Fuchs as I do.

Ilja

I actually rather like Fuchs's symphonies, particularly the first one. It takes a while sinking in, admittedly, but I find myself returning to them more often than I thought I would.

peter_conole

Hi all

Fast and furious grand finales - unsungs only. Tough one.

Ok, for me there are two stand-outs. The Rubinstein no 1 - a youthful work (19 or 20 when he completed it, I think - premiered early 1849) and one discussed more than once within the archived older threads.  As I recall, it was variously described as 'dripping with testosterone', 'outrageous', 'grossly excessive', 'utterly tasteless', 'wildly over the top', etc, etc. On balance a delight, and very fine rainy day music.

The Raff concerto is a close tie or second for me - not con fuoco perhaps, but it deserves a nod for flamboyance and high drama.

regards
Peter   

John H White

I don't particularly dislike Fuchs' symphonies, Ilja. In fact, I spent many hours some years back copying No 1 into Noteworthy for uploading to the Internet before I had even heard a recording of it. Its just that they don't "click" with me like those of his contemporaries such as Brahms and Dvorak or his pupils such as Sibelius and Mahler. Of the 3, I think I prefer No 2.

Gareth Vaughan

The English composer, Dora Bright (1863-1951) [see the British musicologist and champion of British music, Lewis Foreman's request for information about her at: http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2002/May02/bright.htm] wrote 2 piano concertos, the MS of one of which (No. 1 in A minor) is in the RAM. This has a superb Tarantella finale. I do wish someone would record it. This and her Variations on an Original Theme for piano & orchestra seem to be the only concertante works of hers to have survived. As well as the Fantasia in G (1892) mentioned by Lewis, there is a Suite of Dances for piano & orchestra, the second piano concerto in D minor and the Variations for piano and orchestra on a theme by MacFarren - all, apparently, lost, though the MacFarren Variations was published in a version by the composer for two pianos. The latter is extant and it is known that Dora Bright sanctioned performances of this version.

FBerwald

Curiously no one seems to have mentioned the Reynaldo Hahn piano concerto with its quirky finale. Here are some more
Gibbs - Concertino for Piano and String Orchestra Op. 103
Artur Lemba Piano Concerto No. 1 in G major
Peter Benoit - Piano Concerto
Ernst Mielck - Concert Piece for Piano & Orchestra (Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!)
Friedrich Kuhlau - Piano Concerto in C Major, Op. 7 (Humorous finale)
Isaac Albéniz - Concierto fantástico
Manuel Ponce - Piano Concerto (Hair-raising!!)
Scharwenka - Piano concerto No. 4

Ilja

Few finales I know are more 'quirky' than the Von Sauer #1. I'm not quite sure whether that was the intention, but it sounds wonderfully tongue-in-cheek to me.