Heinrich Hofmann: Frithjof Symphony and Hungarian Suite

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 07 November 2012, 16:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

That really whets my appetite. I'm looking forward to my copy arriving. I don't know the Overture and Suite - what are they like?

Alan Howe

I only listened to the symphony this afternoon. More news anon...

Mark Thomas

I've been listening to my copy this afternoon. I won't repeat Alan's assessment of Frithjof or the orchestra - he's spot on. What did strike me about the work wasn't just Hofmann's indebtedness to Raff in the expansive, joyous first movement in particular, but also just how Wagnerian the second, slow, movement, sounds. Those sonorities come right out of the opening pages of Rheingold to my ears. This isn't great music by a first division Unsung like Raff, to be sure, but it is a very enjoyable piece of work, worthy of an occasional outing. It's easy to see why it was so popular in its day and also why it didn't outlive Hofmann. The Overture and Hungarian Suite are written in a similar, consciously crowd-pleasing, vein and they're worth having, but Frithjof is the headline act without a doubt. Another winner from Sterling.

Peter1953

With increasing pleasure I've listened several times last week to the Frithjof Symphony (1874). The four movements of this programme symphony form a cohesive unity, so to speak. The Allegro is a very vivid, joyous and melodious opening movement. But how striking, if I didn't know better I could have sworn it was composed by no one less than Raff. The wonderful Adagio, Ingeborg's Klage (Ingeborg's lament), is reminiscent of what I think is the most beautiful piece of music Von Herzogenberg has ever written: the slow movement (Penelope) of his Odysseus Symphony (1872). The Intermezzo is something like a dialogue between two contrasting themes, Lichtelfen (Elves of Light) and Reifriesen (Frost giants). The final movement, Frithjof's Rückkehr (Frithjof returns)  is glorious, although the least interesting of the movements.
The other two works, Eine Schauspiels Overtüre and the Ungarische Suite are delightful as well, which makes this a desirable Sterling CD. BTW, excellent booklet notes by Christopher Fifield.
Warmly recommended!

JimL

We have another performance archived here in the forum, do we not?

eschiss1

Mark Thomas

There's absolutely no comparison between the old Swiss Radio performance under Hans Vogt which I uploaded in poor sound and the performance on the new Sterling CD. The latter is spirited and convincing, whereas the former is OK enough to get to know the music, but no more.

Alan Howe

Agreed. The older recording did its job and can now be pensioned off.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Quite, although Rob Barnett is no slouch on the Raff front. He's usually an enthusiastic advocate.

Alan Howe

It's just that the influences of Mendelssohn, Schumann and Wagner are acknowledged, but that of Raff is missed completely. Barnett may be sympathetic to Raff, but he still doesn't understand his stature in the 1870s. He needs to read the biography...