Emilie Mayer Faust Overture & Piano Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 25 November 2012, 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Thanks to Mark for the upload of these two splendid pieces. Further comments to follow...

JimL

Real easy way to tell the key of a piece: if you already can tell the difference between major and minor modes (and apparently some otherwise very erudite liner-note writers can't by ear, as I've kvetched about before) all you need to do is find some other work in the same tonality in your collection and compare.  You can find out a lot of undisclosed keys that way, too. 

jerfilm

Another round of thanks to Mark for picking this up and taking the time to upload it.  What a treat!   What would we do without these wonderful broadcasts???   8)

Jerry

DennisS

I thank you Mark also for these two uploads. I have just downloaded them and am about to listen to them both with my undivided attention.

Mark Thomas

QuoteReal easy way to tell the key of a piece:
Thanks, Jim, but I'm not bothered one way or the other apart from getting it right as a matter of record. The key itself isn't important to me. The music's the thing.

dafrieze

Mark Thomas

TerraEpon

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 25 November 2012, 16:26
Real easy way to tell the key of a piece: if you already can tell the difference between major and minor modes (and apparently some otherwise very erudite liner-note writers can't by ear, as I've kvetched about before) all you need to do is find some other work in the same tonality in your collection and compare.  You can find out a lot of undisclosed keys that way, too. 

...or just use an instrument (real or virtual) to see what matches up?

Alan Howe

Let's not get distracted here. Back to Emilie Mayer, please...

Mark Thomas

Indeed. I'm very taken with the Faust Overture. Rather dated for 1880, of course, but a powerful piece of writing which packs a lot into its 12 minutes. Most impressive. Haven't really got to grips with the Piano Concerto yet...