Emilie Mayer Symphony No. 4

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 08 November 2012, 22:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Just to be clear, then: the one recorded on the Dreyer - Gaido CD is actually No.7, not No.5?  BTW, I assume that the 1856/57 F major Symphony is No.8, not a second No.1 as written in your post, Ros? I've taken the liberty of changing it...

Richard Moss

Many thanks to Ros (& Mark) for the clarification.  I assume then that the one that IMSLP says is No. 6 in B min should be 'our' No. 4.

It is quite amazing how often 'facts' about works (their opus nos, symphony/concerto 'number', year of composition etc.) turn out to be anything but an agreed ot correct 'fact'.  In some cases they are known to be ambiguous (e.g. composers who played around with their opus nos to fool publishers)  but in other cases it just seems to be the vagaries of libraries, filing 'systems', and (lack of) academic rigour.

Anyway, this is where I, and I assume many others like me of the less knowledgeable wing of the UC clan, really appreciate the know-how and expertise of the senior/hero members.

Well done and tks again!

Richard

rosflute

Thanks Mark - yes indeed no 8 - apologies for the typo - another case of copying and pasting in a hurry !
and symphony in F minor is indeed no.7 (so described by Emilie Mayer) - you can see this also on p.121 in the book by Almut Runge-Woll

DennisS

I have since listened to this symphony several times, including again today. I am very impressed with the music. As both Mark and Alan have said, the music is far more than just being merely influenced by Beethoven. I think it is very apt, as has been stated, to start with the idea of  a muscular Beethoven, combined with a more romantic feeling to the music, plus Emilie Mayer's own voice. I especially admire both the melodies and the orchestration of the symphony. I will have to research what other works of Mayer are available on CD. Thanks again for the upload.

rosflute

Very little of Mayer's music has been recorded apart from the two symphonies (F minor and B minor), the virtual performance of the E major symphony, a quartet and 3 violin sonatas of which some extracts here http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/emilie-mayer-violin-sonatas-mr0003723682

Mark Thomas

I recently downloaded the recording of the three violin sonatas and I must say that they serve only to underline Mayer's quality as a composer. They are slightly later works than the two symphonies which we now have (Nos.4 and 7) and to my ears in them she moved further from Beethoven's influence, resulting in even more convincingly full-blooded romantic music. They are gratifyingly melodic, big-boned works, written with a confidence which makes them a very rewarding listen - especially the A minor Sonata. I've just realised that I also have somewhere the CD with one of her String Quartets - I don't remember it at all but I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

By the way, the MUGi web site has an extensive biographical article on Mayer, complete with a work list. It's in German, but here's a link to the Google translated version which is quite understandable. It's an interesting read.

Mark Thomas

I've just listened to Mayer's String Quartet Op.14 played by the Erato Quartet on cpo.Although the booklet notes don't say so, it  looks to be something like the eleventh which she wrote, dating from the late 1850s. I was hoping for it to be of the same calibre as the A minor and E flat Violin Sonatas which have recently become available. The very brief scherzo second movement buzzes along very nicely, enclosing an attractive cantabile central section and the slow movement is a thoughtfully sober, but not sad, affair with some very effective moments. The finale is a sprightly, jolly but ultimately inconsequential piece and I'm afraid that I thought there was a lot of note-spinning in the rather tedious first movement, which is longer by far than any of the others. Stylistically, it struck me as not as a surprisingly bland work for the composer of the two Violin Sonatas and the Fourth Symphony. In short, a disappointment.

Mark Thomas

During this morning's broadcast of the Rostock performance of this work, the announcer confirmed that the Fourth Symphony's movements are:

I. Allegro appassionato
II. Adagio
III. Allegro
IV. Finale: Presto

Alan Howe

Details also confirmed by member BerlinExpat. Thank you!