Suter Symphony from Musiques Suisses/MGB

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 15 November 2012, 11:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

QuoteBostock is a better and more professional conductor that I am
I'm sure that's not the case, Adriano.

Ilja

So am I; while a great musician, I often feel that Bostock is perhaps too much of an omnivore to put a personal stamp on pieces.

adriano

Thanks Mark and Ilja :-)
Oh well, in any case, music making under time and financial pressure is not funny...
On the other side I am just returning from Bratislava, where I recorded the very last CD of my Fritz Brun cycle; a programme including his Cello Concerto (with a magnificently lyric slow movement), two difficult choir-and-orhestra pieces and my own string sextet arrangement of 5 songs with piano by Brun. We also recorded three songs by Othmar Schoeck, orchestrated by Brun - which will be the filler of the CD with Brun's 8th Symphony. These two CDs will be released in February 2016. In other words, I have been able to realize and complete this huge project, For this last CD we had enough money and time, and I even got 2 extra rehearsals with the choir, who had to be prepared to sing abolutely difficult parts!
One feels suddenly terribly empty after such activities, besides feeling totally exhausted...

Alan Howe

I agree with Mark and Ilja. And think what we would have missed had Adriano not taken on all these great projects.

adriano

Immense thanks :-)
Looking back to all those projects of mine which came after having been thrown out by Naxos-Marco Polo, one must sadly admit having had to spend more time in raising funds than studying scores - but hoping that this is not heard in my performances :-)
Now it looks as I may only be able to do (in 2016) one more Jaques-Dalcroze CD before falling back into oblivion.
And, before this, an already recorded Symphony No.1 by Martin Scherber will be published next year...

Alan Howe

All this is great news. Thank you. I believe the Brun cycle will be one of the highlights of your recorded legacy - which I hope will be extended for many years to come.

eschiss1

Dalcroze- intriguing; I've heard a work of his for string quartet, I think 2 violin concertos may be on CD, but that's 3 of at least 61-plus works... Excerpts from Scherber symphonies are available on YouTube; a recording of the third received this review in Gramophone though I'm left as often thinking somewhat ill of the reviewer- even though I know nothing of Scherber.

(Unlike e.g. Beaumont's attitude toward Robert Fuchs' music in his Zemlinsky biography, of which some other time)

BerlinExpat

Émile Jaques-Dalcroze (1865-1950)

There were once two CDs available from 2003 & 2004. I'm very glad to have them and have been hoping for more for years so it will be good to hear the violin concerto next year.

Sterling CDS-1057-2
Suite de danses
Poème alpestre
13 petites variations sur La Suisse est belle
Suite de ballet

Sterling CDS-1065-2
Prelude zu Janie
1914 - Impressions tragiques
Tableau Romands

Both CDs with:
Moscow Symphony Orchestra
Adriano

adriano

The Dalcroze Violin Concerto (available since a long time) was not recorded under my baton, since the soloist did prefer having a friend of his own conducting. The result is a rather slow and unbloodied performance, but one should never critizise his colleagues... A pity, would I have had this great soloist, I would have brought to live those wonderful scores in full bloom...
My next Dalcroze CD will contain his vocal cycle for soprano with orchestra "Tragédie d'Amour", his Overture to the opera "Sancho" and a colorful suite entitled "La Veillée". On Guild, of course.
And here is some info on Scherber. The 2nd and 3rd Symphony have already been recorded by other conductors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Scherber
http://www.martin-scherber.de/

eschiss1

Re the Dalcroze violin concerto singular (now twice singular), IMSLP has a violin concerto no.1 Op.50 and a violin concerto no.2 (also co-tagged as a symphonic poem...). Does one of them only exist in violin/piano reduction? (Yes, I know -we- only have them in reduction there, that's not what I mean... No.2 is at the Fleisher Collection, so I'm guessing No.1 is missing :(

eschiss1

They can't be too missing, since both of his concertos were (as I thought I remembered) recorded - on the Guild label, in fact- recorded awhile back under Anissimov (ah, I see you do mention that. Pity; I've heard some good recordings from Anissimov, iirc...)

Erm. Sorry. (I do see other interesting-looking stuff by him in the Fleisher Collection, and expect Swiss libraries have yet more...) Ah, Ok. Tragédie d'Amour, etc. I really, really need to read more carefully. Sorry again. Busy morning, have been having to clear things out in my room for a monthly thing... :(

adriano

I have both Violin Concertos in piano reduction versions as well.
eschiss1, I don't quite understand what exactly do you need? No. 1? I could scan this for you and send it over by wetransfer to your email.

eschiss1

Hrm? No, I (indeed, IMSLP) have both of Dalcroze's violin concertos in reduction. (FLP has no.2 in full score and parts, but I wasn't able to find no.1's parts or full score anywhere in a brief search; I do have some guesses where they might be, but didn't do a really full search once I found that, as you'd already mentioned and as I did remember -

eventually!!! -
that yes, they had both been recorded already...
I haven't heard them- yet - so can't concur - yet- as to the quality of that recording :) ! )