News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Fritz Brun

Started by eschiss1, Friday 12 March 2010, 06:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Latvian

I just heard Brun's 8th Symphony for the first time (previously only being moderately acquainted with #2), and I have to say I liked it very much, better than #2, actually. More listening is certainly needed, and I can't say I hear a distinctive voice, but I love the atmosphere of the work and have some hope for continued interest.

When I speak of "continued interest," I can't help but think back to about 20 years ago. The first time I heard Richard Wetz's 3rd Symphony, I was bowled over. A couple of weeks later, I went back to it and found it to be one of the most boring things I'd ever heard. Unfortunately, I still haven't recovered from that impression. Hence, I hope Brun doesn't elicit the same reaction!

X. Trapnel

I have the Guild recording of Brun's 9th. I only heard it once and thought it very nearly the most boring, characterless, pointless, uninspired music I'd ever heard that was neither baroque/rococo nor bel canto opera, nor neo-classical Stravinsky. Until hearing it the lead standard in a similarly late romantic idiom for me was Hermann Bischoff's 1st Symphony. I feel no great desire to revisit either to sort out their comparative dullness.

adriano

Hi everybody and greetiongs from Switzerland by the crazy guy who is on the way of recording all of Brun's orchestral works.  ;)
Hurwitz & Co have problems because they are confronted with something new and unusual: it's not their taste and way of thinking, they await just music going from A to Z according to the usual symphonic rules and according to mainstream, according to what they have judged as good beforehand. And they affirm things without even having perused a score!
I think Brun is now judged as was judged Mahler when they first tried to promote him - even Bernstein hat problems at the beginning. Mahler is crazy, revolutionary and unpredictable too.
Brun is more complex and crazy than Mahler because he mixes tradition with avant-garde techniques more wildly, he plays with polytonality, polyrhythm and dissonance more daringly. In any case his symphonies are as personal/intimate confessions like Mahler's, reflecting sanguine temper, his difficulties and anger towards Swiss petty-bourgeois way of life. 
You cannot imagine how difficult to play these Symphonies are and what personal engagement it needs to study, to love and to perform them. It's not a matter of many orchestras. Brun's Second is nothing in comaprision to what follows after.
I admit, it's not necessarily music for the subscription concert-hall. Its music which has to be listed and relistened several times before being able to get into it!
Best regards
Adriano

Alan Howe

What you say about 'Hurwitz & Co' is spot-on. They have the same problem with a similarly knotty composer, Felix Draeseke.
By the way, do you know Wilhelm Berger's 2nd Symphony? You would do it brilliantly! In the meantime, congratulations on taking up the cause of Fritz Brun!

Latvian

Thank you, Adriano, for your marvelous recordings! Not just Brun, but the many other unsung composers you have championed. And thank you for your comments about Fritz Brun and his esthetic. Keeping them in mind the next time I listen to Brun's 8th, I hope to get a different perspective on the music.

Have Naxos ended your George Templeton Strong series? Initially they claimed all the symphonies would be recorded, but it's been quite a while since the last release and I fear the series has gone the way of other "complete" projects announced to great fanfare, such as the Ivanovs symphonies, which were later quietly abandoned.

Rainolf

Are Brun's Symphonies still in manuscript?

eschiss1

not positive how many of Strong's symphonies survive to be found?...
I wouldn't mind hearing some of Frédéric Ritter's manuscript orchestral and chamber works (and published piano and organ works) but that's for another thread. Anyway. Enjoyed Brun's 2nd symphony rather a lot, haven't yet heard more.

eschiss1

At least nos. 2, 3 and 4, poss. more of Brun's symphonies were published in score by Hug of Zurich in 2007. (Yes, that's a publisher's name- they've been around for well over a century. Pronounced hoog.)

adriano

Hi Latvian
No other Symphonies have been published by Strong. I just have a copy of the MS of the 3rd and 4th Mvt of his First and some more youthful orchestral works, which I was promised by Naxos to have them recorded, but Naxos do not want me anymore (it was great to work for them but difficult to get along with its boss since he wanted to control me and did not let me record for other companies, not even the repüertoire he did not want himself!) and other labels are not interested anymore. Anyway, today you need full sponsorhip for practically all the classical labels unless you are a star making the usual mainstream nobody buys anymore. It's no real fun making music anymore...

Alan Howe

But you are doing marvellous work, Adriano. We appreciate it greatly.

eschiss1

your more recent recordings and your sponsorship of the label on which a wonderful performance of Raff's piano quintet and some piano works (I haven't heard the one other recording I know of on your label, of Respighi's B minor sonata) found their home, are very much appreciated!

Dundonnell

Thanks, Alan, for making me aware that Guild had added a recording of Brun's 6th and 7th symphonies. I had completely missed that release; I didn't see it advertised anywhere.

I shall-of course-buy the cd because I already have the 3rd, 5th, 8th, 9th and 10th symphonies and the completist in me could not tolerate not adding the rest but it would, nevertheless be most interesting to hear your opinions of these two.

Brun I find a more interesting composer than Hans Huber whose eight symphonies on Sterling I dutifully bought but which made little real impression on me and are, sadly, likely to continue to gather dust on my shelves. I agree with what has been said about the need to listen both carefully and repeatedly to Brun's music. Not all of it, by any means, makes an instant impression but there is a definite feeling that there is music of real substance to be uncovered.

eschiss1

Huber might be better in some of his large output of chamber music anyway (and I do like an organ fantasy of his...) - happens!

Mark Thomas

Huber definitely is better in his chamber music, but I'm afraid that the memory of the mind-numbing tedium of his "Fiddler of Gmund" Symphony, and some others in his canon, is hard to shake off.

Dundonnell

Finally got round to listening to the new(ish) Guild cd of the 6th and 7th symphonies :)

The 7th made more impression on me than the 6th and the former is a work which seems to get better as it goes along, ending with a rousing finale which I particularly liked.

Definitely a composer worthy of continued exploration.