Rufinatscha Symphony No.3

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 30 November 2012, 20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I agree with Mark: the first movement of No.6 (5) is glorious.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteTo me it has all the monumental inevitability of, say, Schubert's Ninth or, indeed, something from Bruckner's canon.

I couldn't agree more, Mark. It is a major piece of symphonic writing in the mould of Schubert's 9th symphony and definitely suggestive in parts of Bruckner. Quite a revelation when I heard it first. For me, at least, it certainly does not outstay its welcome.

Alan Howe

You see, Dr Gratl: Rufinatscha has already persuaded us of his greatness!

Alan Howe

Just to keep everyone informed: Rufinatscha's 3rd Symphony will be out soon-ish, so watch this space and we'll let you know the moment we have more precise details...

Mark Thomas

Very good news, Alan. Thanks for the update.

Alan Howe

It's still not out, but progress has been made, I understand...

Gareth Vaughan

I don't suppose we have any more news about this recording!

eschiss1

This question is I hope appropriate to this subforum- will the edition of the score and/or parts be made available (for an appropriate fee, considering the amount of editing work involved, but in more than archival, e.g. commercial quantities) as well?

Alan Howe

Gareth: I believe the delay is to do with preparing the coupling for the Symphony (songs).

Eric: I'm sorry, I don't know.

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

The coupling is now confirmed as three concert arias.

The project is now back on course - funding was apparently the issue, but this problem has recently been resolved.

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

I've been busy working on the translation of the liner notes. With one section left to do, it is hoped that the official release date will not be too far away.

JimL

Is one of those concert arias, perhaps, the one originally mistaken for the F Major symphony?

Alan Howe

No idea, Jim. There's no hint in the liner notes - after all, it would be a trifle embarrassing...