Saxophone in Chamber Music?

Started by saxtromba, Monday 03 December 2012, 16:38

Previous topic - Next topic

saxtromba

Although the saxophone didn't really make its way into the orchestra until the 20th century, there were several composers in our period who used it orchestrally (Thomas, Bizet, Debussy, Strauss, etc.).  But what about chamber music?  Does anyone know of any chamber pieces whatsoever written during the 19th or pre-Great War 20th century which used the saxophone (not counting arrangements, if any such exist)?

petershott@btinternet.com

Strictly speaking the works were composed outside the given dates, but I immediately thought of Koechlin's Op. 194 Two Sonatines for Saxophone, 2 flutes, clarinet, 2 violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos and harpsichord from 1942.

Oops, with all those instruments it would be classified more correctly as a work for chamber ensemble rather than chamber music proper.

Koechlin also wrote some works for Saxophone and Piano.

I'll keep thinking!

Alan Howe

Let's try to keep to UC's guidelines, please.

Balapoel

Hmm. Koechlin is an interesting figure, born in 1867, and composing music throughout the period of UC's revised guidelines. To my ear, Koechlin's music is a mixture of late romantic and impressionistic (a la Debussy) styles. If Debussy and Ravel are okay, it would be hard to argue that Koechlin isn't (outside of a few serial works composed quite late). I have been recently exploring his oeuvre, and I must say I have been simply and consistently amazed. I'll leave it there until hearing back from the moderators' view of Koechlin's music.

For those unaware of his style, check out his 20 chansons bretonnes for cello and piano, found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adh3uhO2Rj0

A thoroughly romantic/impressionistic piece with no hint of extra-UC characteristics.

Alan Howe

Koechlin employs a variety of styles. He's certainly on the outer edges of UC's remit at times - I agree, though, the Chansons Bretonnes are lovely.

TerraEpon

D'Indy?
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=49137

I own that CD, it's a nice disc though obviously mostly impressionistic.

IMSLP says the piece is from 1903. Dunno of anything earlier. Also it's a reduction of a work for sax and orchestra, so I guess it kinda skirts the chamber line, too.

edurban

Anglo-American Caryl Florio (1843-1920), born William James Robjohn, left 2 chamber works written in 1879 for the Dutch saxophonist E. A. Lefebre.  Both make use of a quartet of saxophones, as Lefebre toured with such a group, which he dubbed the "Wonder Quartet" if I remember correctly.  Unfortunately, only the shorter piece survives, the Quartette, also known as the Minuet and Scherzo.  Lost is the major piece, a Quintet for saxophones and piano, which was extant until the 1960's when the late Barton Cantrell tracked down and purchased the Florio manuscripts for the NYPL.  At the time, the owner (who had only the most tenuous connection with Florio) "heard" that the quintet might be worth money and held on to it.  She, and the manuscript, subsequently disappeared.

This leaves the Quartette, a pleasant, rather modest piece.  It has been published by Peters and recorded a few times.

I hope one day Lefebre's copy of the Quintet will resurface.  It would certainly attract attention...things have changed a bit since 1902 when Lefebre wrote to Florio: "There is little sale for sax music..."

David

petershott@btinternet.com

Now that's a much more interesting post than my previous rather dumb contribution of Koechlin (but in my defence it was the only example I could think of although it lay outside our period - no harm done, I suppose!)

A Quintet for saxophones and piano - gosh! I'm trying (vainly) to imagine the sound.

saxtromba

Quote from: edurban on Tuesday 04 December 2012, 03:32
Anglo-American Caryl Florio (1843-1920), born William James Robjohn, left 2 chamber works written in 1879 for the Dutch saxophonist E. A. Lefebre.  Both make use of a quartet of saxophones, as Lefebre toured with such a group, which he dubbed the "Wonder Quartet" if I remember correctly.  Unfortunately, only the shorter piece survives, the Quartette, also known as the Minuet and Scherzo.  Lost is the major piece, a Quintet for saxophones and piano, which was extant until the 1960's when the late Barton Cantrell tracked down and purchased the Florio manuscripts for the NYPL.  At the time, the owner (who had only the most tenuous connection with Florio) "heard" that the quintet might be worth money and held on to it.  She, and the manuscript, subsequently disappeared.
Many thanks for this (even though it will necessitate a rather expensive purchase :) ); the Quartet sounds like a charming piece, and does indeed make me regret that greed has apparently submerged the Quintet....

Edward

Quote from: saxtromba on Monday 03 December 2012, 16:38
Although the saxophone didn't really make its way into the orchestra until the 20th century, there were several composers in our period who used it orchestrally (Thomas, Bizet, Debussy, Strauss, etc.).  But what about chamber music?  Does anyone know of any chamber pieces whatsoever written during the 19th or pre-Great War 20th century which used the saxophone (not counting arrangements, if any such exist)?

Of course its not before World War I, but there is a Saxophone Quartet by romantic composer Alexander Glazunov, written near the end of his life in the early 1930's -

Glazunov - Saxophone Quartet, 1st Movement

It would be interesting to know what his teacher, Rimsky-Korsakov would have thought of this...

eschiss1

well, a solo work for saxophone - etudes, exercices journaliers - was published ca.1881 (composed by Hyacinthe Klose, published by Leduc) - so more chamber works pre-WW1 might exist also; will have a look-see...

Have been unable to find a PD copy of the Florio quartet to scan (am guessing it was not first published in the USA before 1923, perhaps...) or would try to help make it rather more widely available. Some of his choral works are @ IMSLP, which doesn't help in context though.

eschiss1

Ah, here's a sax chamber work from 1902, in ms.

Ballade carnavalesque by Loeffler for sax, flute, oboe, bassoon , piano. (I see a few recitals containing this piece listed in Worldcat but no commercial recordings, I think...)

There's also this pair of sax quartets by Gustav Bumcke (1876-1963, so PD-US-only until two years from now, then PD-CA also) published 1907 (his opus 23).

minacciosa

The Glazunov is a lovely work of great contrapuntal and harmonic interest. Two other fascinating works are Florent Schmitt's and Joseph Jongen's Quartet for Saxophones. THey are quite different works but of equally deserved exposure.