Järvi to record Bela Varkonyi?

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 08 December 2012, 22:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I think the trail's gone decidedly cold...

eschiss1

Nothing seems to be at Szechenyi Library, that I can find :(

Gareth Vaughan

eschiss1

Not the easiest catalog for me to search, but I tried to be diacritically and order-of-names careful and nothing seems to have come up. Maybe some other library in Hungary (Debrecen perhaps? Another?) or elsewhere though.  Anyone know if he has living relatives who might have papers?

Gareth Vaughan

Budapest Academy of Music (Franz Liszt Academy) has a handful of piano and vocal pieces and the full score of the symphony.

John_Boyer

The Jerusalem Records CD was produced and engineered by George F. Varkonyi, the composer's son.  I have found only two references to him: an article in the October 1954 issue of Popular Science about the home-made hi-fi equipment he built for his New York apartment, and a mention of a New York man of the same name, born Aug 12 1919 and died Oct 19, 1989.  I think that's why the trail runs cold.

Now, if Jarvi mentioned an interest in the work in 2012, someone must have brought it to his attention.  Who would that be?

Gareth Vaughan

If smithatnt who so kindly prepared the parts for Jarvi were to lodge a set with Fleisher they would become accessible to others and the prospects of a performance/recording a little more likely.

Gareth Vaughan

There is a Maria F. Varkonyi, 79 years old, apparently related to George. An internet search gives her US telephone number.

infocus

Does anyone know how I can find the score to "Leda" for viola and piano by Bela Varkonyi? I've looked every place imaginable with no success. Please help!

infocus

It appears to me that George Varkonyi was the recording engineer on the CD of 24 Rode Unaccompanied Caprices that was made by the great violinist Oscar Shumsky. If you, or anyone else knows how to get in touch with George, I would appreciate having that information. Infocus

Gareth Vaughan

How about contacting EBS Records who made that disk and asking them?

John_Boyer