News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Déodat de Séverac

Started by a.b., Wednesday 17 March 2010, 10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

a.b.

Hi,

I am deeply impressed by the piano music of Déodat de Séverac.

As far as I can see, there are the following recordings:

Albert Attenelle, Columna Música
Jean-Joël Barbier, Accord
Aldo Ciccolini, EMI
Billy Eidi, Timpani (also by: Ogam)
Jordi Maso, Naxos
Izumi Tateno, Finnlandia

Only Ciccolini has done a complete recording (on 3 CDs). My favorite – far more than the academic-romantic approach by Ciccolini – is Billy Eidi, the French-Libanaisien Pianist (born 1955).

Do you know some more recordings? Which one do you like most?

Now, I am interested in more music by Sèverac:

Do you also know Céveracs symphonic works? I heard about three symphonic poems.

Who knows his chamber work? I heard about Sérénade au clair de lune, Piano Quintet in E-major, Suite "Les muses silvestres", and Suite "Le parc au cerfs". There must be some more.
Are there some records?

Do you know Céveracs Operas? ("Le cœur du moulin", poème lyrique in two acts (1908) and "Héliogabale", tragédie lyrique in three acts (1910))
Are there any recordings?

Thank you very much!

Best greetings from Austria 
a.b.

John Hudock

There are several recordings of a choral work of his (a setting of Tantum Ergo), one by the Westminster Cathedral Choir, one by the Schola Cantorum of Oxford, one with the Chapel Choir at Triinty and multiple others. It is included on enough collections of French choral music that it must be something of a mini-standard, although I have no specific recollection of it. I have the Schola Cantorum CD (which is paired with the Faure Requiem and other works by Faure) so I will give it a listen.