Even more Raff on its way from Sterling

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 23 January 2013, 16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Always good when the Raff is (almost) Ready!
(yes, I'm quite sure his brother Kaspar, especially, heard many too many of those and rather more imaginative during his time in the USA. :) )

Aramiarz

Dear Erick, I understand you, that you don't believe me!! :'(  :'(, but in this time is true!!!!

eschiss1

I was just making a bad pun. I do believe you. The pun was inappropriate and incomprehensible, and on those and other counts I apologize.

Aramiarz

Dear Erick, no problem my friend!
   I'm very grateful You, for your support, comments, researchings, etc!
Raff will be available first in Sweden, Toccata.nu

;D

Alan Howe

The Toccata shop in Sweden...
http://www.toccata.nu/main.html
...is where I get my copies of new Sterling releases from. Mr Hoff there is very helpful!

Mark Thomas

At last! Exactly a month short of two years since I originally announced its imminent release, I can say with confidence that this double album will be available very early in 2015. The technical issues which have plagued the recording have been resolved, apparently, and Sterling's own distribution problems are now well behind it, as evinced by the spate of new releases which we've seen from the label in recent months.

It's ironic that the delay in issuing this two-fer has resulted in one of the works on this release has been overtaken by events. When the the pieces were recorded, the best reconstruction which could be made of the Music to the Historical Tragedy Bernhard von Weimar WoO.17 was to record the two marches from the piece which had survived and were published, and precede them with the Ein feste Bürg Overture Op.127, which was a re-writing and expansion of the original, lost Bernhard von Weimar Overture. The full, original score for the incidental music was thought to be lost, but earlier this year I tracked down two autograph copies of the full score, in Berlin and in Weimar, which include not only the original Overture, but also a plethora of much shorter orchestral numbers, including the several fanfares about which we already knew. To be fair, the pieces on the recording contain the bulk of the music - 35 minutes, compared with the estimated 43-45 minutes of the original. Raff's Op.127 is pretty much the same as the original Overture, except that he transposed it from C major to D major, tweaked the orchestration and replaced the final sombre two minutes with a triumphant peroration lasting more than twice as long. The other 12 newly rediscovered pieces consist of some brief fanfares and drum rolls, some repeated sections of the Overture and the first march, and a couple of short alternative pieces. In total they amount to 14 minutes of music if the alternatives are included, and so none of them have much substance, but its a minor disappointment that we probably won't now get to hear them. 

Alan Howe

This is great news, Mark. One more for the New Year shopping list (sigh!).

TerraEpon

Mark Thomas

No, not yet. Early in the new year, I'm told.

Aramiarz

I have the Raff Cd double!! Soon you have it!

Maybe for some of Yours will be in february catologue:

Recordsinternational.com

eschiss1

As noted in a post I should have made here, Recordsinternational does have it in their catalogue this month- with the proviso that it probably won't be available until around late in the month at earliest, because of various errors.

Aramiarz

Yes, more later two weeks, Recordsinternational.com must have the double cd correct ;)

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Great....hope it's up on Amazon soon...