Even more Raff on its way from Sterling

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 23 January 2013, 16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Can I assume Alan that you agree with Mark about the haselbock recordings?
Tom :)

Alan Howe

I don't know them, Tom. I've had the Masur set for years and find that very satisfying. It's probably worth looking at Noseda on Chandos too.

Mark Thomas

My previous standby was Haintink and the London Philharmonic on Philips, but I now prefer Haselböck's interpretations because they are generally edgier. That said, if you don't know Prometheus and/or some of the other symphonic poems, it might be a better idea to go for a more mainstream choice first, such as Alan's favoured Masur set, than the riskier option of Haselböck.

TerraEpon

I have the Masur set and have no complaints...

As for this Raff disc, well need I ask again about an Amazon link? Arkivmusic doesn't help....in fact its most recent Sterling disc is the last Raff disc, from almost exactly two years ago.

Mark Thomas

Distribution does still seem to be a problem. I don't have my production copy yet either.

sdtom

In the USA they have no distributor. I got my copy direct from Sterling http://www.sterlingcd.com/
There are also downloads.

Wheesht

If you go to the heading "The Company" on Sterling's website and scroll down to the bottom, there is a link to international distributors and this lists Allegro for the USA. However, Allegro Music do not seem to have this new release yet. As has been mentioned here before, Toccata in Sweden carry all Sterling CDs and they do ship worldwide, but the postage of SEK 84 outside Europe may be prohibitive for some people. Personally, I try not to use the big players to much, certainly after having read reports on how Amazon treat their staff. I like the statement on Toccata's Swedish site that stock exchange listing and a turnover of billions are not their foremost aims... :)

Alan Howe

Toccata in Sweden are brilliant - Mr Harald Hoff there is very helpful, efficient and knowledgeable. I pay him via PayPal.

sdtom

I did a brief search on Allegro and found nothing from Sterling, left an email and got no response. At that point I decided this wasn't the place to do business with. I'm not sure why he doesn't use Naxos who distributes small but important labels.

sdtom

I started my listening process of the Intermezzi selection from the new Raff recording and I was impressed at least so far with what I heard. More later.

MartinH

I've been listening to the new Raff double cd set for a week now, and enjoying it very much - especially the 1st march on cd 1 - great fun! BUT... has anyone else noticed some weird sounds on the cd? Almost like old LP warping - a constant thumping sound really noticeable at the end of the Liszt. Very distracting with headphones. I notice throughout the 1st cd. I hate to think that all copies are like this.

sdtom

I'll have a listen with my Grado headphones and report back to you Martin to see if it is on my CD.

sdtom

Had a listen Martin and I detected nothing.

MartinH

Alan Howe