News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Julius Zellner 1832-1900

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 05 March 2013, 10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Julius Zellner Born 18.5.1832 Vienna  Died 28.7.1900 Murzzuschlag, Austria

He initially trained as a 'technologist' and soon abandoned this to become a merchant. He spent most of his life in Vienna as a teacher and composer. In 1887 he won the Prestigious Vienna Composers Prize and in 1889 the Beethoven Prize. Francois Pougin described him as 'a composer of originality and melodic charm'.

Orchestral

Symphony in F major  Op.7
Symphony in B flat  Op.44
Symphonietta in A major  Op.26
'Melusine' symphonic suite five movements  Op.10
Piano Concerto in E flat major Op.12
Hochzeitsmarsch in F minor  Op.31  1881

Chamber

Ten works for cello and piano  Op.1  1864
Piano Quartet in C minor Op.23  1880   pub. by Brockhaus
Piano Trio in B minor  Op.5  1870   pub. by Doblinger
Piano Trio in F  Op.25  1881   pub. by Brockhaus
Piano Trio in C sharp minor  Op.46  1890   pub. by Brockhaus
Sextet for two violins, two violas and two cellos in E major  Op.32
String Quartet in G minor  Op.14  1872   pub. by Doblinger
String Quartet in D minor  Op.34  1886
Variations on a theme by J S Bach for string quartet  Op.33  1882
String Trio in C minor  Op.36  1881
Violin Sonata in D  Op.20  1877   pub. by Cranz
Violin Sonata in F  Op.30  1881   pub. by Brockhaus
Cello Sonata   Op.11  1872   pub. by Doblinger
Cello Sonata in G Op.22  1880   pub. by Brockhaus

Piano

Five Characterstucke  Op.2
Six Characterstucke  Op.3
Suite for piano  Op.4
Fantasie on old German folk songs Op.6
Adagio and Allegro appasionata Op.8
Three pieces Op.9
Three pieces - Andante, Scherzo, Finale. Op.13
Eight pieces  Op.15
Two country style pieces  Op.17
Eighteen easy pieces  1880  Op.18
Two small suites  Op.19
Two Impromptus  Op.21
Three pieces, Notturno, Capriccio and Intermezzo Op.27  1880
Twelve pieces  Op.35  1882
Piano Sonatina in C  Op.37/1
Piano Sonatina in E minor  Op.37/2
Three German dances for piano four hands  Op.39
Sonatine  Op.45

Vocal

'The Waterfall'  for chorus and orchestra  Op.24  1880
Four Lieder:  No.1 I saw three birds fly, No.2 The hide in the forest, No.3 Spring, No.4 Good Night!  Op.29  1881

thalbergmad

The Piano Concerto is Op.12 and is in E flat major.

Thal

Balapoel

From Hofmeister (which is tolerably complete):

Opp. with dates of publication

Chamber
1   10 stucke for piano and cello   1864
11   Cello Sonata No. 1   1872
22   Cello Sonata No. 2 in G   1880
23   Piano Quartet in c minor   1880
5   Piano Trio No. 1 in b minor   1870
25   Piano Trio No. 2 in F   1881
46   Piano Trio No. 3 in c# minor   1890
14   String Quartet No. 1 in g minor   
33   Variationen über ein Thema J.S. Bach's f. 2 V., Vla u. Vcello   1882
34   String Quartet No. 2 in d minor   1886
   String Sextet in E   
20   Violin Sonata No. 1 in D   1877
30   Violin Sonata No. 2 in d minor   1881

Orchestral
12   Piano Concerto in Eb   
10   Melusine. 5 sinfonische Stücke f. Orch.   1872
7   Symphony in F   1871
26   Sinfonietta in A   1880
44   Symphony in Bb   
31   Hochzeitsmarsch f. gr. Orch.    1881

Piano
15   8 Klavierstucke   
45   Sonatine   
2   5 Charakterstücke.   1869
3   6 Charakterstucke   
4   Suite   
6   Fantasie (D) über ein altdeutsches Volkslied in Form von Variationen   1870
8   Adagio u. Allegro appassionato.    1872
9   3 Stücke   1872
13   3 Stucke (Andante, Scherzo, Finale)   
17   2 ländliche Stücke f. Pfte.   1875
18   18 leichte Stücke f. Pfte   1880
19   2 kleine Suiten   
21   Impromptus f. Pfte. No. 1 (Des) Mk 1,50. No. 2 (Cism.)   1876
27   3 Stücke f. Pfte. (Notturno. Capriccio. Intermezzo.)   1880
35   12 Klavierstücke.   1882
37.1   Piano Sonatina in C   
37.2   Piano Sonatina in e minor   1882
39   3 deutsche Tänze f. Pfte zu 4 Hdn.   1882

Vocal
29   4 Lieder f. gem. Chor. (No. 1. Volksweise: ,,Drei Vöglein sah ich fliegen". No. 2. Reigen: ,,Die Haid' und der Wald". No. 3. Frühling: ,,Viel tausend Stimmen tönen auf zum Himmel". No. 4. Gute Nacht: ,,Ueberall Stille und Ruh'".)    1881
24   Die Wasserfee: ,,Endlos über Wasser hauchen Nebel", f. gem. Chor m. Orch. Klavier-Auszug u. Singst. [Harfe od. 2. Pfte ad lib.)   1880

eschiss1

Not sure why the date gaps in your list; they seem mostly easily filled. Hofmeister also gives opp. 3 and 4 also published 1869 (http://hofmeister.rhul.ac.uk/2008/content/monatshefte/1869_09.html) for example.

Balapoel

Because when I searched for "Zellner", nothing showed up for those missing opera. I then searched the PDF version (which has no dates, and sometimes has more detail on instrumentation).

eschiss1

Briefly put, that is -not- how to use hofmeister.rhul.ac.uk. Use it by understanding how its search engine operates (and what it is, and is not). Shall I elaborate?  (And "the PDF version" is a different thing and ... agh. There are three, four or five or six or... being conflated here into one single "Hofmeister", but are actually slightly to entirely separate things! Gah, that almost deserves a thread to itself, and a page on IMSLP too, since this happens so often there.)

At the least, always, and I mean always, use those "view transcription" and "view facsimile" links to make sure you get everything. Transcription because it's easier to search, facsimile because OCRs get things wrong.

(Also, just go  to here and read their own introduction to the project at length. That should be better than any description I can give you of what it is.)

Balapoel

No, actually, I'm good with my search methods (at Hofmeister and other sites I've used for the past several years). I use advanced search - which can vary based on spelling errors, etc. And for precision, the 'pdf' is:
Verlag des Universal - Handbuch der Musikliteratur (The Universal Handbook of Musical Literature), edited by Pazdirek., Vienna.

Perhaps 'slightly to entirely separate things', however, the wording for each music entry is (for most) nearly identical, and for purposes of list compilation, perfectly adequate.

giles.enders

Is anything known about his life, I could find very little. I have to say that is the beauty of this forum, one has only to post the scantest of information and the dots are joined!

eschiss1

Slightly to entirely separate things-
(1) Hofmeister Monatsberichte, the publication itself, released from about 1829 to the mid-1940s.
(2) the scans of that publication at the Austrian National Library (ÖNB).
(3) the searchable and browsable transcribed database of optical-character-recognition text versions of those ÖNB scans from 1829 to 1900 (but no further) at Royal Holloway, University of London (rhul.ac.uk).
(4) Other publications by Whistling and Hofmeister - Whistling and Hofmeister's Handbuch der musikalischen Literatur and similar publications released every few years in two volumes from 1818? until the early years, I think, of the middle of the 20th century.
(5) entirely separate (no related corporate ownership, only tenuous at best related history, etc.) : e.g. Pazdirek (which you refer to, Balapoel) and the Challier publications (Challier is somewhat analogous to "Hofmeister" being itself, like Hofmeister, a publisher releasing a journal of publications and information and advertisements useful to the industry, but Challier is lieder/song-focused) ; the French and Belgian Bibliographie publications (necessary often because Hofmeister usually only catches first German/Russian/sometimes English publications and often plain misses French-orbit ones; if one wants to be more sure relatively of -first- publication dates, especially for a French composer but sometimes for others too e.g. Rosenhain whose publications appeared in both spheres, one needs both sources very much...) British publications like the Musical Times and others via Google and Archive.org etc. help here too also, and AMZ for earlier German publications esp. by Breitkopf.

The thing with a composer search, or any search on RHUL (type 3), is that it will get any line in which the composer/search term is mentioned, but not any in which the composer/search term was mentioned in the line above and is taken "as read" because they were mentioned in the lines above (in the case of a publisher, is mentioned as "Ebend."/the same). Like I said, use "view transcription" and "view facsimile". Or be stubborn because I said so and you just don't wanna. (Sheesh.)

Thanks to Cypressdome over @ IMSLP for pulling together much of this information (though in a much friendlier form) with (when IMSLP is working, which is not today) uploadable forms of a number of these, like the French Bibliographie, etc.)

Reverie

Realisation of 1st Symphony 4th movement

A very well crafted movement. Dvorak anyone??

LINK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTxVxex49Rs

Mark Thomas

This is an effective and enjoyable mid-romantic era piece, which certainly whets the appetite for the three preceding movements. Thanks Reverie for shining a light on it, you've done a great job, I truly admire you and our other members who slog away so diligently to produce such convincing and enlightening results. 

Alan Howe

With its publication date of 1871, its symphonic contemporaries would include Raff 4, with Dvorak 3 receiving its first performance in 1874. Personally, I can't hear much Dvorak in Zellner - merely an extension of the broad classical Austro-German symphonic tradition before it is enriched by Brahms. However, what I can hear is a magnificent movement, thoroughly worthy of this excellent realisation.

Thank you, Reverie, for shining further light on the extraordinary breadth and depth of symphonic writing in the 19th century. If you have the time, might the other movements emerge from your computer programme at some point...?

Wheesht

Thank you very much, Reverie. I enjoyed listening to this.

I have been able to find out a few bits of information about his life:

He was meant to embark on a career first in the technical and then the commercial field, but he didn't fancy doing that and, having been drawn to music from early age, decided to devote himself entirely to it in 1851. In 1870 his Symphony in F Major was performed with great success by Dessoff, a year later (other sources say 1875) his tone poem "Melusine" in five movements followed and also became very popular. A symphony in E Flat Major followed later as well as the choral work "Im Hochgebirge". In 1887 he received the Beethoven Prize from the "Tonkünstlerverein". His Symphony in B-flat major was very successfully performed in Munich.
Apparently he lived a modest and quiet life in the midst of a large family.

Gareth Vaughan

I am intrigued by the Piano Concerto. The only copy of the score I can find listed is in NYPL (283 pages on microfiche), I hope one day I may get to see it.

eschiss1

The Austrian National Library also has the score of the piano concerto.