Of all the unrecorded music in all the world...

Started by Martin Anderson, Saturday 10 April 2010, 11:24

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

Quote from: namoji on Thursday 22 April 2010, 03:31
hello all, if the optional piano music for consideration in this difficult project, because I would love the piano sonatas of Theodor Kullak, and the only sonata in Bb written by Henri herz .. would be to my taste very good options

Natanael... :D

I say, that sounds excellent.

Would fit in with nicely my Leopold De Meyer project, especially the Herz.

Thal

edurban

I've been very remiss in not putting in my oar here.  Horace Wadham Nicholl (b. Tipton, England, 17 March 1848, died New York, 10 March 1922) left a sizable amount of truly interesting, challenging music in all forms (see the biographical article in American Grove.)
He moved to the USA in 1870, although during 1900-04 he was in England and Leipzig.

There is enough orchestral music for a few discs.  For Vol. 1, I would program the Piano Concerto in d minor (here I quote Liszt pupil William Sherwood: "Mr. Nicholl's Concerto for piano which I have studied and played [in 1888] is in all repects the equal of any modern concerto I have yet heard since Chopin and Schumann.  It is a work of the highest rank among modern compositions of its class.  My assertion that it is worthy of Bach or Brahms is founded upon a thorough study of its contents, which, both for beauty and dignity of its themes, and their masterly development, as well as the artistic structure of the composition, fully justifies such a statement...")

To fill up the disc I would include Nicholl's symphonic poem Tartarus of 1877-78.

David

JimL

The Nicholl concerto sounds like a good project for Hyperion, although whether it should go on an American or British volume is the question.  I'd pair it with another piano concerto of similar provenance and period.

Gareth Vaughan

Well, why don't you guys drop Mike Spring a line and suggest it? The Hyperion website will give you contact details.

edurban

Preparing the concerto would be a project.  The manuscript full score is at NYPL, as is the whole Nicholl collection, there is also a 2 piano arrangement, but I don't remember any parts.  The piece, like most of Nicholl's orchestral works, excepting the 'Symphonic Sketch' Hamlet, was never published.  In my ambitious student days, I copied the string quartet, the piano trio (can't find that copy, though) and a few other pieces.  Mary Louise Boehm played one of the piano pieces a few times, my first wife played the cello sonata at Carnegie Recital Hall, the March from Nicholl's setting of The Golden Legend was the exit music at my first wedding.  The Nicholl revival still awaits...

David

chill319

Based on your description, David, I'm very tempted to add Nicholl (along with Homann and Bird) to my shortest short list of unsung 19th-century American composers.  Should anything become available, my filthy lucre will be, too.

namoji

I would love this project works LEOPOLDO D MEYER ... would be very interesting but also a disc with piano trios Littolff henry

eschiss1

Quote from: namoji on Monday 26 April 2010, 04:16
I would love this project works LEOPOLDO D MEYER ... would be very interesting but also a disc with piano trios Littolff henry

The one of the Litolff trios that's been recorded that I know of sounds pretty good, one looks forward to the others.

eschiss1

Quote from: naimdj62 on Tuesday 27 April 2010, 04:27
WE have seen Of all the unrecorded music in all the world the doom that awaits, the events that compose my end. My blood will spill by your hand. You tell me my God is false, I tell you He is here. I pray for you to turn from this, a life of falsehood to the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Satan's lies have consumed you. A soul blackened by hate. Let the torture begin. My blood spills out, I will not deny. My flesh is torn, I will not deny. Your life is not lost, I forgive what you have done. I can not deny, for I will be denied.Thanks.
Thank you, please translate into comprehensible language, perhaps English, yes?

JimL

How about translating it into sane.  On the other hand, don't bother.

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Tuesday 27 April 2010, 05:40
How about translating it into sane.  On the other hand, don't bother.

With you there.
Anyone enjoy the 4th symphony of Marques, sometimes broadcast over BBC's Through the Night program (and other stations)?
(Or just as a thought, JN David's symphonies? :) )
Eric

Peter1953

Quote from: naimdj62 on Tuesday 27 April 2010, 04:27
WE have seen Of all the unrecorded music in all the world the doom that awaits, the events that compose my end. My blood will spill by your hand. You tell me my God is false, I tell you He is here. I pray for you to turn from this, a life of falsehood to the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Satan's lies have consumed you. A soul blackened by hate. Let the torture begin. My blood spills out, I will not deny. My flesh is torn, I will not deny. Your life is not lost, I forgive what you have done. I can not deny, for I will be denied.Thanks.

On 12 April I have posted a message that this year some very weird members joined (see: Problems / Ghost Members). If they send us a message, it's nonsense and has nothing to do with discussing music. If they don't, they hope us to visit their commercial websites. 

thalbergmad

Looks like we have a "tambo banger" amongst us.

Thal

Mark Thomas

Jonathan