Draeseke/Jadassohn RPC Volume on sale

Started by saxtromba, Thursday 04 July 2013, 00:17

Previous topic - Next topic

saxtromba

Some of you may not know that Hyperion has a section of their website called "somebody, please buy me".  It's for disks which haven't sold in a while, which are offered at a huge discount with free postage to anywhere.  It changes irregularly.  As of this post, the RPC volume devoted to Draeseke and Jadassohn is available, both as an MP3 and as a disk. for six pounds (about 10.00 US) (5.60 plus a .40 handling fee).  This is the first time I've seen a volume in this series available, and I bet they take it down fairly soon.  Just thought readers here might want to know....

Alan Howe

Lovely, thanks. Extra copy duly ordered - it'll make a fine Christmas present...

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Strange the CD's apparently not sold well: the music's all interesting and excellently performed. 

Mark Thomas

...but I have always thought it a particularly inappropriate pairing.

giles.enders

I found the Jadassohn concertos a little dissapointing though no where as dissapointing as the Herz.

While on the topic of Hyperion concerto series, I note that in the latest release Andrew Manze is Chief conductor of the Helsingor orchestra.  This must be the worst orchestra ever used by Hyperion

Gareth Vaughan

I know what you mean about the Jadassohn PCs. I enjoy them, but they are a little "underwhelming".  However, I adore the Herz disks. He is so utterly frivolous and out to please; they always bring a big smile of pleasure to my face - the best sort of 19th century light music.  Their sole unashamed purpose is to entertain.

If you are referring to the Dubois disk, Giles, Andrew Manze is conducting the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. I can't see any mention of Helsingor on the label.  Nor do I think Hyperion has ever made a CD with the Helsingor orchestra.

Alan Howe

I think what is meant is the Helsingborg Orchestra. But why anyone would think them a poor band is quite beyond me: they are are one of Scandinavia's many excellent regional orchestras. Would that we had the like in our own regions in the UK (West Country, East Anglia, etc.). The review of the Wiklund entry in the Hyperion RPC series at MusicWeb says:
<<Hyperion's recording, produced by Andrew Keener, is first class in every respect, the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra play superbly under their Principal Conductor Andrew Manze...>> (emphasis added)

Gareth Vaughan

Ah! If it's the Wiklund disk to which Giles is referring, well, that was some time back and I thought the orchestra played very well. But it's unlike Giles to be critical without cause.

Alan Howe

Suffice it to say that this orchestra is by all accounts - and certainly in my experience of them on CD - an excellent one.

Alan Howe

Re-listening to Jadassohn's PC1 I'd forgotten what a gorgeous and memorable tune features in the slow central section. Wonderful. Do follow up Hyperion's offer if you didn't invest in this CD first time round:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67636%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&vw=dc
Here's MusicWeb's review:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/Apr09/Jadassohn_cda67636.htm

Alan Howe

If you don't know the Draeseke PC, here's the sublime slow movement in its entirety:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it6tY1b1acY

Alan Howe

Oh dear, Hyperion's withdrawn the offer!

petershott@btinternet.com

I guess I must be the most self-centred cad imaginable. I always - most ungenerous of me but then I cannot help it - always feel somewhat miffed when I spot a 'special offer' on something I've paid full whack for, and in this case did so without flinching a muscle. Dreadful of me to say it, but I've got little sympathy for anyone who hasn't previously bought this CD and is now deprived of the opportunity to get it as a bargain.

(But of course - and to make the confession far worse - this attitude doesn't extend to me when I'm lucky enough to grab a bargain! (I look myself in the mirror and mutter: oh, what a dreadful fellow you are!)