Karl (1812-1883) and Hermann (1844-1929) Graedener

Started by LateRomantic75, Thursday 04 July 2013, 23:22

Previous topic - Next topic

minacciosa

The score for No.1 wasn't lost; it was at the Library of Congress. I got a copy from LOC and gave it to Karen. Rabl will create new performance materials for the recording.

It is a wonderful piece.

Alan Howe

This is fascinating - and I'm greatly looking forward to hearing the music. Thank you!

eschiss1

Likewise here.
The Library of Congress online card catalog contains much uncertainty ("unk" entries for example) and I'm sure many items are not in their catalog at all - etc. Wonderful things have "turned up" there, if memory serves (at least, the original version of Stenhammar concerto 1 did too, and other things if I vaguely recall.)
Anyhow, good news I expect; I haven't seen -either- Grädener's orchestral writing iirc, but have enjoyed their chamber music as rendered by Steve @ IMSLP and generally as uploaded.

(I'm selfishly hoping it's Naxos, cpo or some other of the labels that at least eventually stream through Naxos Music Library so I can hear it there first, instead of Hyperion or MDG etc., but I am sometimes selfish that way. Anyway again, thanks for the announcement!)

eschiss1

Out of curiosity, while ÖNB's catalog seems to suggest that at least one of Hermann Graedener's symphonies (no.2 in C minor, 1903, published 1912) survives in score, is it in good enough shape to create parts from and are there any plans to record it at some point in the (indefinite...) future?

(Edit: of course, maybe some other library -has- the parts. Search time, later...)

Edit: Free Library of Philly, Fleisher Collection, score and parts. Should have known to check there first. Score and Parts and movement listing even. (Though it's sometimes been reported that their scores and parts are -not- as useable as a library catalog can quickly indicate, I think...) (note: click "MARC" at the bottom for full information, yes.)

auberiste

I can provide a scan of the C minor symphony (score only), PM me in case anyone's interested. It's rather low quality though and the pages aren't in order (no time on my hands to fix this at the moment, that's why I'm hesitant to put it on IMSLP).

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

we have plenty of scores with this problem @ IMSLP - so long as they're clearly numbered, someone else down the line can reupload a corrected pdf. anyhow thanks if so!

auberiste

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Thursday 22 February 2018, 22:25
The scan is low quality, or the music?
The scan of course, can't really say too much about the music just yet, other than that it looks competent enough and appears to be imbued with a healthy dose of late 19th-century Germanic counterpoint, think Berger or early Schmidt ...
Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 22 February 2018, 22:27
we have plenty of scores with this problem @ IMSLP - so long as they're clearly numbered, someone else down the line can reupload a corrected pdf. anyhow thanks if so!
True, but also I haven't got around to removing the library stamps and I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to this, even with works in the public domain. Oh well, I'll do it some time this spring in any case.

Alan Howe

Is there any further news about the recording of Hermann's two Violin Concertos, please?

eschiss1

if there's a problem in uploading to IMSLP in that regard, ask the copyright-admins first (with some details to the question)...

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas