News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cipriani Potter

Started by albion, Tuesday 13 April 2010, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

Albion,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Track/Movement details now found (as you'd indicated).  Hopefully RPC will deliver the goods on Potter's PCs in the not too distant future.

Many thanks

Richard

PS Just realised in my ignorance I'd typed 'sight' instead of 'site' - I'm not really that ignorant, just a tendency with increasing age to go onto 'auto pilot!!)

Pengelli

Thank You Albion & a happy new year,to you. I notice you didn't say,                                                       'everyone except Pengelli!'
  I am unfamiliar with the Samuel Wesley work,but know of most of the other items. I have the 'Rose of Sharon' on cassette. It really DOES deserve a recording. As to 'Prometheus Unbound',I'm suprised that this hasn't been recorded yet. Unfortunately, I missed Scott's 'Alchemist' when it was broadcast,but managed to capture the Holbrooke 'Bronwen' excerpts,luckily. The other work by Scott is new to me, but I know of it. Last time I checked it out the 'Bronwen' cassette it still worked. I must transfer it to cd while I can!

eschiss1

Quote from: Pengelli on Monday 03 January 2011, 16:09
Thank You Albion & a happy new year,to you. I notice you didn't say,                                                       'everyone except Pengelli!'
  I am unfamiliar with the Samuel Wesley work,but know of most of the other items. I have the 'Rose of Sharon' on cassette. It really DOES deserve a recording. As to 'Prometheus Unbound',I'm suprised that this hasn't been recorded yet.

... whose Prometheus Unbound - Wesley's? Can't find any other reference to it in this thread or nearby ones... ... ok, I need to try a search, should have tried that first, I assume you don't mean the lost Brian obviously :) ... backinamin. Oh. Parry's. Commercially recorded. Gotcha.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteHopefully RPC will deliver the goods on Potter's PCs in the not too distant future.
If anyone knows the whereabouts of the scores of Potter's PCs I'd be grateful if they'd share the information.

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 03 January 2011, 16:57
If anyone knows the whereabouts of the scores of Potter's PCs I'd be grateful if they'd share the information.
Hopefully they still exist. How much evidence do we have for them? I gather from Lindeman's "The concerto: a research and information guide" that MacFarren in an 1884 article on Potter mentions them in passing with no music examples etc.; Lindeman lists 3 concertos (and several other concertante works) by key and date (D minor, 1832; E-flat major, 1833; E major, 1835); is MacFarren our "ultimate" authority for that much information, and do we have another source for even that information? Do 2-piano reductions exist (so that it's only full scores that are lacking, not the works themselves?) I become curious now though I haven't heard much Potter yet- I'm planning to head over to that link soon to hear more, though.)

thalbergmad

They are here old chap. No's 170-172

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/manuscripts/HITS0001.ASP?VPath=arevhtml/68895.htm&Search=RPS+MS.+170&Highlight=F

So there is no duplication of effort here, I have already ordered a copy of the RPS MS 170, being the Concerto No.2 in D minor.

In addition, there is a Ricercate on a favourite French Theme (manuscript at RAM) and a Duo Concertante Op.14 (Published score BL) which makes a total of 5 works for piano and orchestra. I have both of these, but only the Ricercate is digitalised.

I pity anyone who is going to try to typeset these.

Thal

eschiss1

Also in 1832 Sterndale Bennett, a Potter student, decides to compose, at age 16, his first piano concerto (in D minor, op.2) - makes for confusing searching. (At least, this according to an 1892 account.) Thanks for turning that link up!

Pengelli

I have downloaded the Potter symphonies & bought a s/h copy of the Unicorn-Kanchana cd. Thanks again Albion. Wonderful!

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 03 January 2011, 16:57
Most of the significant manuscripts (symphonies, concerti, overtures) are listed at the beginning of this thread.

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 03 January 2011, 16:48
... whose Prometheus Unbound - Wesley's? Can't find any other reference to it in this thread or nearby ones... ... ok, I need to try a search, should have tried that first, I assume you don't mean the lost Brian obviously :) ... backinamin. Oh. Parry's. Commercially recorded. Gotcha.
Parry's Prometheus Unbound has not been commercially recorded - unfortunately!

eschiss1

Right- was parsing "recorded" as "commercially recorded" - I don't always get these things...

eschiss1

Anyone mentioned the Potter string quartet the RAM library has in manuscript?

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 03 January 2011, 18:46
Anyone mentioned the Potter string quartet the RAM library has in manuscript?
There was a Radio 3 broadcast of Potter's G major quartet (1837) played by the Fairfield Quartet (2/3/1989). I used to have it, but unfortunately it was the victim of a destructive tape-player many years ago!  :(

eschiss1

Quote from: Albion on Monday 03 January 2011, 18:53
There was a Radio 3 broadcast of Potter's G major quartet (1837) played by the Fairfield Quartet (2/3/1989). I used to have it, but unfortunately it was the victim of a destructive tape-player many years ago!  :(
That's the one, I think- RAM has a photocopy and a microfilm of the manuscript score (dated Oct.1837) and parts (the latter just microfilm) according to their library catalog.

Pengelli

Correct me if I'm wrong,but isn't Parry's 'Prometheus Unbound' regarded as being of some historic significance in relation to the so called 'English musical renaissance'?

albion

Quote from: Pengelli on Monday 03 January 2011, 19:27
Correct me if I'm wrong,but isn't Parry's 'Prometheus Unbound' regarded as being of some historic significance in relation to the so called 'English musical renaissance'?
Some writers have indeed taken the first performance of Prometheus Unbound at the 1880 Gloucester Festival as heralding the 'dawn of a new era', also known as the English Musical Renaissance.

To choose this date (or indeed any date) is a purely arbitrary exercise: it not only fails to account for composers as significant as Samuel Wesley, Cipriani Potter, William Sterndale Bennett and Arthur Sullivan but also refuses to acknowledge the fact that Parry's cantata was not a great success at its premiere and thereafter largely sank without trace! Undoubtedly the 1880s saw a huge upswing in terms of productivity from composers including Sullivan, Mackenzie, Parry, Cowen, Stanford, Corder and Goring Thomas but the idea of a single 'big bang' is quite misleading.