Romantic Piano Concerto series

Started by Paul Barasi, Tuesday 16 July 2013, 20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Barasi

I got about 10 of these, bought fairly randomly/opportunistically but then stopped after No 27 (Saint-Saëns). Based on those I do have, I'm certain this continues to be a high quality series. So I was wondering, as filling the large number of gaps exceeds expectations, which one do you:

- reckon was your greatest discovery?
- think is the best of the lot?

(and knowing why would be gr8 for both nominations too).

Alan Howe

So, to avoid lists, let's confine ourselves to one answer in each category and include reasons...

chill319

I, too, have only a smattering of experiences with this series. The Weber is very well done. The Draeseke is by far the better performance of his concerto. A work I rate very highly but that has taken (for me) a longer acquaintance to appreciate fully is the Hiller Third Concerto. I recommend the Hiller disk strongly.

FBerwald

For me the Scharwenka No. 4 Vol. has yet to be topped!

Alan Howe

Reasons, please! Otherwise all we end up with is a thoroughly uninteresting exchange of composers' names!

FBerwald

"think is the best of the lot? " Scharwenka Piano Concerto No. 4 - because
1.  I am still as amazed with this piece today as when I first heard it.
2. Amazing music.
3. GRAMOPHONE RECORDING OF THE YEAR 1996
    CLASSIC CD AWARD WINNER
    CLASSIC CD 100 GREATEST DISCS OF THE DECADE.
4. No reasons needed! The music speaks for itself!

"your greatest discovery?" - Stojowski
1. If it wasn't for Hyperion I [many of us...] would have never have heard of him or these gems.
2. Amazing music.
3. Also, Mr. Plowright  became one of my fav. pianists.
4. No reasons needed! The music speaks for itself!  ;D

... awaiting for these to arrive in concert halls....
::)

Alan Howe

That's not very helpful to anyone who doesn't know the music. What they will want to know is how and why the music is 'amazing' - particularly as the standard reaction to anything that people like these days is to say that it's 'amazing'. So the issue is: what amazes you about the music?

FBerwald

@Alan you are not going to let go if it are you?  ;D ;D ;D

reason no. 4 should be enough. Listen to the concertos and find...  but if you insist
re Scharwenka No. 4 - It's his pièce de résistance showcasing his full talents as a composer and formidable pianist. The music is very dramatic with a Maestoso sounding Allegro patetico main theme and a contrastingly beautiful second theme [Scharwenka must have especially loved this as he uses it to conclude the concerto!]. The Intermezzo that follows with its pleasant jaunty trills is delightful; both themes from the 1st movement make appearances here. What follows is a very moving Lento which leads nonstop to a hair raising Tarantella finale that will bring down the house! The accompanying Piano Concerto No. Iby Sauer is a beautiful homage to his teacher Liszt, showing how well he assimilated the lessons learned! Curiously the 1st movement is also an Allegro patetico [very different from Scharwenka's]. The heart of the piece is surely the Cavatina; the theme of which is used in the following light rondo finale.

re The Stojowsky concertos - Concerto No. 1 starts with a low string intro, almost morose theme, which builds up to a grand tutti, starts of a dramatic 1st movement, followed by a serene slow movement and a allegro fuoco finale that lives up to its name. Concerto No. 2 starts with a prologue: there is no slow intro rather it starts of rather abruptly with the winds. It written in best romantic tradition including long runs, counterpoint and bravado writing for piano, and lush strings. The intro. is again quoted on the brass which leads into the 2nd movement: Scherzo - brilliant piano writing, accompanied by playful woods and triangle, etc; it lives up to its name ending in a curious trill.  The finale, a set of variations on a beautiful theme is handled with Stojowski's genius that we come to appreciate by the time we have reached this movement. The main theme from the Prologue is brought in again and the concerto ends with the piano playing over a series of solo instruments, the serene conclusion I always wanted the Dvorak Cello Concerto to have!

Alan Howe

Thanks very much indeed for taking the time to describe why you like these works so much. That's the sort of description that would make me want to go and buy the CDs - if I didn't have them already!

FBerwald

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 18 July 2013, 16:15
Thanks so much for taking the time to describe why you like these works so much. That's the sort of description that would make me want to go and buy the CDs - if I didn't have them already!

They would make wonderful Christmas gifts.  :D

Alan Howe

Paul Barasi

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 18 July 2013, 16:15
That's the sort of description that would make me want to go and buy the CDs - if I didn't have them already!

Me 2 !

pianobaba

I have the entire series up to vol. 60 which was just released. I'll have to look through them and think about it, the whole series is really worthy, with only a couple more interesting for curiosity's sake. I do second the Scharwenka mentioned above. All 4 concertos are wonderful and each one is progressively better with the 4th being truly a magnificent piece of music. I would say off of the top of my head the Scharwenka and Litolff were likely the most rewarding discoveries, I will look through the series more and come up with a more detailed response.

mc ukrneal

Greatest discovery - Lyapunov. What glorious and intersting music. I have since acquired numerous discs of his and continue to explore his output.

Best of the lot - Alnaes. This probably gets the most listening from me (followed by that Sauer/Scharwenka disc already mentioned). It's very reminiscent of Rachmaninov. It's big and tuneful, and why it's not played more I cannot fathom. It's got an opening of a big fat piano right from the start, with that orchestra right there with it. The second movement is gorgeous. I love how the orchestra and piano play so big as it goes along, but not always the same tune/line. The pianist has a lot runs and such throughout the piece. The Sinding is not bad either! :)

Honorable mention: Arensky/Bortkiewicz. Both are very fine. Bortkiewicz, in general, is quite tuneful (and can be recommended for his symphonies as well - the same for Arensky).

BFerrell

Another vote for Alnaes. On both counts. What a magnificent, romantic melodist. Stong themes and great orchestration. The performances are crystal clear and very committed. The symphonies are also quite marvelous. He just didn't write much and died way too young.