Ippolitov-Ivanov: Symphony no. 1 in E minor

Started by LateRomantic75, Saturday 20 July 2013, 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

A real pity that Svetlanov never managed to record Ippolitov-Ivanov's Symphonies!

Alan Howe

sdtom

This is something that someone should take on as a project. I rarely speak ill of any orchestra but in this case, well I'll say nothing.
Tom

TerraEpon

The symphony was on a single track in the previous release. I ended up buying it (and not the rest) back when I was buying from eMusic, so it ended up costing me all of around 25 cents (maybe less).

Nice piece though.

Gareth Vaughan

I would very much like to hear the Symphony No. 2 "Karelia" (without opus no.).

Mykulh

Gareth,
     As far as you kmow, does this work (Symphony No. 2 "Karelia")  actually exist? I've found no references to it beyond works lists of the composer. I'm curious.

Michael

Gareth Vaughan

I don't know if it exists, I'm afraid. Like you, I know of it only from work lists.

eschiss1

I see no mention of anything like Karelia (or transliterated, even vaguely in form) in what I can decipher at rsl.ru (of entries under Ипполитов-Иванов, Михаил Михайлович or somewhat similar) either. (My Russian is horrible, though- I'm not the person for that job...)

Anyone have a vague notion where (singular, plural(s)) his manuscripts might be? That might be useful ... at the moment my only guess is that it's in worklists because a performance is known.* (If his first symphony hadn't been published, it might be that we would have known of it only from e.g. a 1915 performance of it in - Paris I think?... or... though - well ... I don't know. Of course, some Soviet/Eastern European composers of the era were very lucky (or luck wasn't the only word) in getting performances; e.g., Myaskovsky had, for awhile (1920s/30s), a fair number of American performances of his symphonies, for example (Stokowski, others, conducting, iirc)- not that I, a great fan of his, begrudge him that -at all-!)

*In which case, it's possible that the concert report might have written symphony when a symphonic poem, or somesuch, was actually performed. A number of late symphonic poems by Ippolitov-Ivanov - and similar things - we definitely do have, and maybe a few others are lost. But - I don't know. Depends on the provenance of the report of a 2nd symphony "Karelia"; I am curious. Anyhow. :)

jerry.buszek

I purchased a cd about one year ago that was listed on e-bay of music by Ippolitov-Ivanov:
     Turkish March, Op. 55
     Turkish Fragments, Op.62
     On the Steppes of Turkmenistan, Op. 65
     Musical Pictures of Uzbekistan, Op. 69
Also, a suite from Maeterlink's "Blue Bird" by Ilia Sats.
This was an Aquarius cd (AQVR 377-2) devoted to works conducted by Leonid Pyatigorsky & I. Ermakova with the All-Union Symphony Orchestra. All are in mono, not stereo, recorded in 1949 & 1962. It arrived in the USA after about a one month wait from Russia. The music is your typical pot boilers from the Soviet Union, similar to Glazounow's Finnish Sketches, Op. 89.