Klughardt Symphony 5 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 28 August 2013, 08:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Now that's really something to look forward to!

sdtom

I've never heard it before. What is the work like?
Tom

eschiss1

Well, I know it's an arrangement of his sextet in C-sharp minor (from ca.1890?) (lowered a semitone in arrangement...), op.58 and was published in 1900 (made in 1897, my mistake.), but aside from that... (his -4-th symphony - opus 57 and also in C minor - is the subject of an article on the German Wikipedia, with music examples  (and also has a page on IMSLP with downloadable full score), and his 3rd symphony has been recorded.)

(Edit- arrangement of sym. 5 from sextet made in or premiered in 1897, but published in 1900. not published in 1897. :) )

(Corrected the de.wikipedia page for Klughardt symphony 4 (though not the typesets, of course- that's beyond my abilities- they're not mine...) since the work was composed ca.1890 and published ca.1892, not 1897 as mistakenly stated. That 1897 is too late seems fairly clear from HMB if nothing else.

Alan Howe

A radio broadcast of the late Festouvertüre included on the forthcoming CD (with the same performers) can be heard here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GopeeFnBgtM

Mark Thomas

The YouTube recording is the same as the one that's been available for some time in our own Downloads Archive board here.

Alan Howe

Oops, apologies! Not a great piece, though. Somewhat empty, I thought...

Mark Thomas

I agree. Pièces d'occasion often are.

Alan Howe

Ooh, I say - that's yer actual French...

Mark Thomas

LateRomantic75

Back on topic, it'll be interesting to see if Klughardt's style evolved in Symphony no. 5 from the Mendelssohnian/Schuamannesque style of Symphony no. 3 and the VC. I'm hoping that Klughardt absorbed the influences of his contemporaries (Brahms and possibly Wagner) in his later works rather than sticking to the early-mid romantic rulebook.

eschiss1

That's possible for the 3rd symphony (and an interesting question) but not (literally, time-wise, I think?) for the violin concerto, a later work than the symphony (which I believe, anyway is just a straight-up transcription of a ca.1890 string sextet- lowered a semitone, maybe some other changes required by that- - hrm.. - I don't know how much was changed, it's true, as I know neither work, I admit it. Yet, anyway.)

The violin concerto (said to be the 2nd of two, the other from a year earlier??), btw, was premiered in mid-1895.

Mark Thomas

Brahms may prove to be a late influence on Klughardt, I don't know, but Wagner's was an influence which he'd already grown out of and discarded by the time he wrote his Third Symphony and Violin Concerto. In contrast to those works, Klughardt's earlier Wagner period is exemplified by the Symphonic Poem / Symphony No.2 Lenore (sound bites from the Sterling recording here).

eschiss1

(Hrm. Downloading Gerlach's 1902 book August Klughardt: Seine leben und Seine werke from Google Books... will see if I can work out from the German - though his worklist doesn't even mention the string sextet, his op.58 is another work entirely. Odd...

eschiss1

Really? That in itself is interesting since the 2nd symphony and 3rd symphony are -much- closer in time than the 3rd symphony and violin concerto. I mean much closer... I think...

Let's see. Lenore - aka first symphony- finished 1872, premiered 1873.
Third symphony- premiered 1879.
Violin concertos - 1894 (maybe?), 1895.
He didn't take much time at all to throw off that Wagner influence...