Serenades & Suite for Strings: J.O. Grimm, Schwalm & Wolf

Started by Mark Thomas, Monday 02 September 2013, 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I've added to the Downloads board a pair of short but pretty String Serenades by the equally obscure Robert Schwalm and Leopold Karl Wolf, and a similarly brief, but rather more academic in places (two fugues!) Suite for Strings, by the marginally better known Julius Otto Grimm.

eschiss1

ah, when I saw that title, I thought you meant Grimm's suite in canon-form op.10 - I should learn more about his output. 3 suites or more? That intrigues in itself, will just have to give those a chance :) Thanks! (And there has to be a radio recording of his symphony somewhere... sigh)

Mark Thomas

I think that Grimm's Op.25  Suite is his third and last one, Eric. The two earlier ones were both titled "Suite in Canon-Form", but whilst this last one features a canon in one of its movements, it doesn't share the full title of the first two. Alas, as far as I know there has been no complete radio performance of Grimm's Symphony, or at least there is no recording of one. More's the pity. I suspect that it's a major work.

Richard Moss

Mark,

Once again many tks to you and other uploaders for giving us the pleasure of listening to these, Hilller's overtures etc.

Best wishes

Richard

eschiss1

Also thanks!
I see that Schwalm's Op.51 was a Concertstück for violin and orchestra also published by Seitz at the time. That too might be nice to hear if it survives (it does- the Free Library of Philadelphia to the rescue, I see). (His "Der Jüngling zu Nain : für Chor, Soli und Orchester oder Orgel" Op.65 was recently (2009) republished (published in a new edition?) by Recital Publications.)

eschiss1

Also, that conductor's name in the Grimm looks wrong to Google and everything else... I think it's Vesselin Paraschkevov (who plays violin with them, according to some websearches.)  Google's guessing feature is often a pain in the neck, and it didn't suggest that name immediately, but it helped some here with a bit of nudging.

Mark Thomas

Oh, we'll done Eric. I was sure that the name I'd been given was wrong, but couldn't come up with an alternative. I'll correct my post. I've never come across Google's guessing feature...

britishcomposer

I think it must be Vladislav Czarnecki in the Wolf Serenade.

Mark Thomas

Ooops, apologies for the typo, Mathias. I've changed my post.

semloh

I keep hearing hints of the Dvorak and Tchaikovsky serenades... then I'm thinking English string music .... then Grieg and the Scandinavians. But in the end they are just utterly charming pieces. I think the Wolf Serenade is especially sweet. Thank you three times over, Mark.  :)

DennisS

Have just been listening to the serenades again. Thank you Mark for uploading three lovely works. The melodies are quite charming and the elegant orchestration is delightful. It would indeed be wonderful to hear a complete performance of Grimm's symphony on CD. Perhaps one day .......

Christopher

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Monday 02 September 2013, 17:40
I've added to the Downloads board a pair of short but pretty String Serenades by the equally obscure Robert Schwalm and Leopold Karl Wolf, and a similarly brief, but rather more academic in places (two fugues!) Suite for Strings, by the marginally better known Julius Otto Grimm.

Hello Mark - I can't find the Grimm download - is it still available?

eschiss1

I think it's in a different downloads sub-board, one that's not in use anymore and a bit more hidden. In any case, it's the same recording as now on YouTube unless I miss my guess.

Mark Thomas

Sorry, Christopher. Those files were amongst many offered at UC which MediaFire deleted from my account in error a couple of years ago. I removed the post from UC as I no longer had the originals unfortunately. If someone here downloaded them before that happened, perhaps they could upload them to our Downloads board?

cypressdome

I've uploaded the performance to Mediafire (see link in the Downloads board).  I'd also like to point out that the full score and parts are available on IMSLP for Grimm's Suite No.2 in Canonform, Op.16.