News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung concerts redux

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 03 September 2013, 03:31

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

http://brenchleyproms.co.uk/index.html

This was pointed out to me yesterday. Only 10 miles from me.

Anyone for a bit of Henselt??

Thal

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Ok, sung-sort-of. The works aren't, though. The composers- one _definitely_ yes, one not so much.
Felix Mendelssohn: Piano quartet "No.0" in D minor (Q 10), 1821
Fanny Mendelssohn, Piano Quartet in A-flat major, 1822

performance September 14, 2014, 3pm at the Mendelssohnhaus, Leipzig

See link.

eschiss1

A good selection of unsung music being performed by the Royal Flemish Philharmonic in the next year, I see from their website (some too modern for this site, but some fits right in. Not all of it Belgian, either, not at all :) ) To choose one piece for now (just because I have to dash :( ) -

Peter Benoit's Requiem, June 20 2015, conducted by Edo de Waart. (http://www.defilharmonie.be/peter-benoits-requiem-de-kathedraal-0)

(Also, a Faust-centered program with Spohr's overture as well as Liszt's symphony and Schumann's Scenes. Will fill in date after I revisit the site later. Visited the site when I noticed Martyn Brabbins, recently mentioned, was one of their conductors, but this coming year he seems mostly to be conducting a program of modern concertos from Scandinavia and elsewhere- including at least one work I think I have a recording of and like, but again- erm- right. Got it. :D )

eschiss1

Also, not quite sure if this fits?... but Ildebrando Pizzetti's cello concerto (in C?) is being performed November 5 & 6 ("Auditorium Rai "Arturo Toscanini"" (Rome?) in a program of Respighi, Grieg, Nielsen and Pizzetti) - see http://bachtrack.com/work/cello-concerto-in-c-major-pizzetti.

alberto

The Auditorium "Arturo Toscanini" is in Torino, where Toscanini conducted (mostly in his early days) more than 300 concerts.
IMO the Pizzetti Cello Concerto is decidedly romantic (and I have just a recorded broadcast by Mainardi and Giulini old about 50 years, maybe more). Here performs abitually the "Italiano Radio and Television Orchestra".

alberto

Sorry: "The Italian Radio and Television Orchestra (Orchestra Nazionale RAI)".

eschiss1

4 more things-
another performance of the Suk Asrael symphony, in Vienna on Monday (10/6).
A performance of Hurlstone's piano quartet in London on Tuesday.
Zemlinsky's ballade Waldgespräch (1896) is in a concert in Edinburgh on November 1st.
Elfrida Andrée's string quartet in D minor on Nov. 9 in Stockholm - listing.

Alan Howe

Chris Fifield tells us:

By the way : I shall be conducting Frederic Cliffe's Coronation March (1910) and Thomas Dunhill's Symphony (1916), a fine work, on 6th December with my Lambeth Orchestra at All Saints Church, West Dulwioch, London SE21 8LN. Fenella Humphreys will play Elgar's Violin Concerto. It would be wonderful to see UK-based forum members, or worldwide members come to that!

eschiss1

More from the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players in NYC:
27 April 2015: "Against Tyranny" (Theme)
Meyerbeer, Giacomo (1791-1864)   Il Crociato in Egitto : O cielo clemente (for flute obligato, clarinet, violin, viola, cello)   
Schulhoff, Erwin (1894-1942)   5 pieces for string quartet   
Prokofiev, Sergey (1891-1953)   Overture on Hebrew Themes, Op.34    
Busch, Adolf   7 Bagatelles, Op.53a   
Shostakovich, Dmitri (1906-1975)   Piano Trio no. 2 in E minor, Op.67

Not all Romantic or unsung, though I think at least the Busch work may intrigue.

As noted, in 3 days (October 27) is a concert of theirs with Schreker's "Der Wind" and Hiller's 3rd piano quartet.
Nov.10 -Liszt, Caplet, Ibert, Ravel :)
Nov.24: Czerny piano trio no.4 in A minor. Neat!
Dec.15: Robert Kahn piano quartet no.2.
also, March 30 2015: Huber piano and wind quintet in E-flat op136. :)
(See their website, more generally.)

April 23 2015 (maybe already mentioned?) - Atterberg sym 5, conducted not by Järvi but by Marc Soustrot, Malmo Symphony, Stockholm Concert Hall (Konserthuset): Stora Salen, Stockholm.

eschiss1

Hrm, here's something btw-
a concert with Godard's cello sonata @ 1901 Arts Club, London on November 12th (19:30 / 7:30 pm, local). (Corinne Morris/Kathron Sturrock.) Also on the 12th, in Paris (Salle Pleyel), a concert with Medtner's Sonata reminiscenza among other works (see this listing).

(Hrm. Neat. A Rubbra work programmed, but it would be a bit of a hike and a swim for me... and there a KA Hartmann symphony... nice week!)
Quartets by Tchaikovsky (early), Strauss and Guy Ropartz in Sparkill on the 15th at Christ Church, Sparkill.
Some underplayed Schumann (incl. "Schön Hedwig") at the Schumann-Haus in Zwickau on the 16th.

Dec. 11 @ Wigmore Hall: piano and wind works by Farrenc & Thuille (parmi d'autres compositeurs, oui.)