Kalinnikov 1 & Glazunov 5 from Exton/Octavia

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 30 September 2013, 11:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

This is a superlative new 2-CD set of Kalinnikov 1 and Glazunov 5 (coupled with the Suite from Khachaturian's Masquerade). It's relatively expensive, unfortunately - and short measure - but the experience of hearing these works played by a great orchestra and an up-and-coming young conductor recorded in spectacular sound has been for me an overwhelming experience:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=292587&name_role1=3&bcorder=3&name_id=61898&name_role=4
Here's some info about Kazuki Yamada, the conductor:
http://www.productions-sarfati.com/en/231/kazuki-yamada

Mark Thomas

Kalinnikov's First and Glazunov's Fifth - now that's a coupling made in heaven. Still, it's quite an investment for music which I already have duplicated several time's over....

sdtom

I agree with Mark on this one. While I only have one Kalinnikov recording (Naxos 8.553417) I have three recordings of Glazunov's 5th symphony so it would be hard for me to justify getting another CD. Alan will have to keep us posted on how good this new release is.
Tom

mbhaub

Too bad they didn't release the disks separately - I'd spring for another Kalinnikov, but have quite a few Glazunovs already. I don't know how much people in other parts of the world pay for Exton recordings, but they're really expensive here if you buy from Tower Japan. I'll wait until this shows up on Ebay!

petershott@btinternet.com

Many congratulations, Alan, on passing the 5,000 mark accompanied by an "overwhelming experience". And our thanks for 5,000 barks, bites, cries, bits of advice, thumbs up, shouts, sighs, exclamations, admonitions, kindly advice, and the occasional castigation. We appreciate it all.

Alan Howe

Very kind.
This set was a bit of an indulgence on my part, I must admit. What persuaded me to be it were:
1. Yamada as a new young conductor to watch.
2. The reputation of the label as a producer of fine-sounding recordings.
3. Most of all: to hear the great Czech Philharmonic in this repertoire. Not to be missed.

FBerwald

Congratulations Alan. BTW dont forget to add the point that Both the Symphonies are probably works that show the respective composers in the best light. Glazunov No. 5 has had many outings but unfortunately only Neeme Järvi [Superlative!] & Vassily Sinaisky do justice to this monumental piece. The much hyped cycle by José Serebrier was a let down for me, especially the 5th. True, he is more flexible in tempo and the rubato approach to the opening of the symphony was very dramatic but as soon as the symphony actually starts he seems to be at a loss what to do with it. All in all it gave the effect of a very attractive gift wrapped box which had a very inferior gift inside! [Sorry if I offended anyone  :-\ .... its just a personal opinion!  :D

sdtom

You're convincing but not enough to get me to spring.
Tom

sdtom

Quote from: FBerwald on Monday 30 September 2013, 19:09
Congratulations Alan. BTW dont forget to add the point that Both the Symphonies are probably works that show the respective composers in the best light. Glazunov No. 5 has had many outings but unfortunately only the Neeme Järvi [Superlative!] & Vassily Sinaisky do justice to this monumental piece. The much hyped cycle by José Serebrier was a let down for me, especially the 5th. True, he is more flexible in tempo and the rubato approach to the opening of the symphony was very dramatic but as soon as the symphony actually starts he seems to be at a loss what to do with it. All in all it gave the effect of a very attractive gift wrapped box which had a very inferior gift inside! [Sorry if I offended anyone  :-\ .... its just a personal opinion!  :D]

What is your opinion of the Naxos and Svetlanov recordings.
Tom

FBerwald

Naxos is a snoozfest! Unfortunately I haven't heard the Svetlanov but he rarely disappoints.

Alan Howe

Svetlanov is superlative in the Kalinnikov. It's a very great recording - such strength of purpose really elevates the music to another level. Unmissable.

Forget the Naxos Glazunov 5. Nothing like good enough. Serebrier or Yamada are wonderful by contrast.

sdtom

Again I didn't make myself clear. The Svetlanov recordings I was talking about were the Glazunov symphonies. How do these compare with  the others.

As far as Kalinnikov is concerned I have the Naxos (1 and 2) and the Chandos ( 1 only coupled with Glazunov tone poems). I also have the Marco Polo Tsar Boris and tone poems.

As far as Glazunov is concerned beside the Svetlanov I have some Vox/Turnabout LP's (which I have transferred to CD), the Serebrier set, and the Naxos CD's. I have too much duplication and need to weed some of them out. What would you keep?
Tom

Alan Howe

Can't help in any detail, I'm afraid. I'd probably keep the lot - I rarely chuck anything out, except the odd real dud.

petershott@btinternet.com

Tom, do not worry too much about 'which is the best?'. Fortunately musical works are not like wives - you can have more than one. And be glad of duplications - unless you happen to live in a tent.

More seriously, if you enjoy Glazunov have you tried the string quartets? Immensely rewarding - and close to his own heart.

eschiss1

I've only heard some of Glazunov's string quartets myself, unfortunately, a gap I keep meaning to rectify.  The 4th looks like one of those "4th quartets in A minor" that I either know I enjoy very (very) much or think I will -- once I hear it (well, there's at least two others- Stenhammar, S. Taneiev...) (the Taneiev and Glazunov, at least, look like they may share some other similarities too, at least from the scores, if I remember...)