von Bausznern chamber music from MDG

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 22 November 2013, 08:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

izdawiz

hmm.. Just read about him..  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldemar_von_Bau%C3%9Fnern...... Student of Friedrich Kiel and Woldemar Bargiel at the Berlin Musical Academy.. I'm intrigued.  :)

eschiss1

Well, neat... Thank you.
I think we have his serenade (same one? different recording, I think) and a symphony (no.7) in the Downloads section, or we did?

LateRomantic75

Great news! I've been intrigued by von Bausznern's music. Are his symphonies too much to hope for? ;)

Mark Thomas

Yes, I too thought that we had von Bausznern's Seventh Symphony in the Downloads Archive, Eric, but I can't find  it there now.

LateRomantic75

eschiss1

as are some other works of his (flute and piano suite, etc.) in what seem to be recital performances/regular upload performances (rarer things on YouTube now, it seems anyway (stands to reason), than "let's rip an LP/CD/..." and so I like to notice them - and hope they're good performances, of course.)

Alan Howe

Symphony No.7 is virtually unlistenable - an example of late romanticism gone completely to seed. I'm hoping this new release of chamber music will be much less tortuously chromatic.

Rainolf

Interesting: On the cover they mixed Baußnern with Bargiel.

To symphony No. 7 I would say, that this work makes Baußnern to somewhat like a "German Dukas", the harmonic language reminds me of that of Baußnerns French contemporary.

Holger

I am glad as well to learn about this release, a disc I am going to buy in near future. The download link for the Seventh was in fact provided by myself, and you can find it in the Archive (German Music Folder, Page 1). The version on YouTube is most probably a reupload made by somebody else who got it from here.

It is interesting to see how opinions can differ. For me, the Seventh is an excellent piece distinguished by its rich harmonic language. I find Baußnern's virtuosity in modulating from one key to potentially anywhere rather fascinating. Rainolf's comparison to Dukas is quite interesting.

Maybe the release of the chamber music disc might provoke more recordings.

Mark Thomas

Thank you Holger, for pointing out where your recording of Bausznern's Seventh is. To save anyone else searching: it's here.

britishcomposer

Baußnern's 7th Symphony has been broadcast this evening in a new live performance from Jena.
I am willing to upload my recording but I need a short comment by the moderators first.

adriano

My project to record von Bauzsnern's Symphonies was one of my earliest Marco Polo (hopeless) suggestions. As already mentioned in an earlier thread, I am aquainted with WvB's nephew, and the family has apparently just succeeded to encourage this new performance. He asked me if he could recommend me, but, of course, who would ever want to see me on a podium in Germany? Very difficult music for the players!

minacciosa

I just listened to Baußnern's Symphony No.7 and found it highly interesting. He has a rather advanced vocabulary and a real mastery of instrumentation. This is a composer well worth investigation.

minacciosa

Yes, Hadrianus; clearly very challenging music for the players - and for the conductor! This is music that is well worth the time to rehearse and perform. Exceedingly interesting music! He is a master of harmonic misdirection and there is also something of a folk-style composer in him. The language strikes me as Reger, Schmidt, Strauss, and Baußnern; he has definitely come up with something quite original.