Andreae Symphony in F (1898-1900)

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 22 January 2014, 15:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

JeremyMHolmes

Thanks for the heads up Alan, duly ordered, as I really enjoyed the last two releases in this series! Now I am eagerly awaiting the next Brun instalment!!

Alan Howe

Not only is this Symphony delightful, it's absolutely thrilling. What's fascinating is the development from Brahmsian beginnings to passages of Wagnerian, even Tchaikovsky(i?)an passion. Absolutely wonderful. This'll be one of my symphonic finds of 2014 - and we're only a month in!

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the capsule review, Alan. It sounds a really exciting prospect. Unfortunately I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can hear it myself.

jerfilm

So will alot of the rest of us, i suspect.  Patience is a virtue???

J

LateRomantic75

Alan Howe

My advice is: buy it with all haste! I purchased it direct from Guild.

Jonathan

According to my searches, this is volume 3 of his works with orchestra - does anyone know anything about the other volumes and, if so, are they worth hearing?

Jonathan

Mark Thomas

This recording is now available for download and, oh wow, I must say that Andreae's F major is a truly magnificent symphony. No allowances need be made for it being a student work. First impressions are that it is grounded in the world of Brahms, and that's particularly true of the delightful Intermezzo third movement but, as Alan pointed out,  Andreae knew his Wagner too, and there is some wonderfully sonorous writing in the impressive slow movement - a really heartfelt piece. It shares with the outer movements a breadth of utterance and an air of unfolding at its own pace, which is almost Brucknerian in feeling, although Andreae never resorts to mere imitation.  There is a Dvorakian glow to the piece, too, which is especially evident in the compact and joyous finale. At 37 minutes the Symphony is of comparatively modest proportions for its time, and never outstays its welcome. This work reminds me in many ways of Wilhelm Berger's equally fine Second Symphony - it wasn't ground breaking for its time (1898 or so), but as a piece summing up a musical era, this synthesis of all that was best in the final quarter of the nineteenth century is hard to beat. Buy this recording now - don't let Alan and me keep this glorious music to ourselves. Wonderful!

Alan Howe

I'd compare the Andreae symphony to, say, early Zemlinsky or Dohnanyi. As Mark says, it certainly deserves a wider hearing...

jerfilm

Would love to download it but I can't find it.  Neither Amazon US or UK show it, neither does Presto.  ???

Jerry

eschiss1

Hrm. I see one can hear samples at amazon.de too - not sure about downloading? Probably not...

here, anyway.

also at this jpc-like site.