News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Feeling Gouvy!

Started by mikehopf, Wednesday 22 January 2014, 20:56

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Just out on Ediciones Singulaires: Volume 1 of Gouvy's Cantatas, Chamber Works et al. on 3 CDs includes a Fantasy for Violin & Orchestra plus assorted String Quartets & Piano Trios.

Alan Howe

I spotted this, but couldn't establish exactly which works are involved...

Mark Thomas

According to this listing at jpc, the set contains: the Sinfonietta, Fantaisie pastorale for Violin & Orchestra,  the Cantata La Religieuse, the Overtures Le Giaour, Jeann d'Arc and Le Festival, the Quartets op.56 No.2 and no.5 op.68, the Piano Trio op.22 and Serenades for the piano.

Mark Thomas

These may not be new recordings, I'm not sure, but K617 will shortly be issuing a CD with Gouvy's Piano Quintet No.6 and the Piano Trio No.2. Scant details here.

jdperdrix

You can check tracks and listen to samples on qobuz (http://www.qobuz.com/recherche?q=gouvy&i=boutique) as well as piano trios 2, 3 & 4 by trio Voces Intimae. Also available for streaming (not the trios) and downloading.

Mark Thomas

Thanks very much for the qobuz link.

petershott@btinternet.com

Piano Quintet No. 6? There is surely only one Gouvy Pf Quintet - that in A major, Op. 24?

Mark Thomas

I was guilty of uncritically copying the jpc listing, Peter. My apologies. The pdf of the CD booklet, which I've now tracked down, makes it clear that it is the String Quintet in A minor of 1880.

Alan Howe

I've just picked up this release. And what a treasure trove it contains! It starts off with the utterly beguiling Sinfonietta - and absolute masterpiece in its genre, I've no doubt. If this were by a starrier name, it'd be part of the standard repertoire.

sdtom

a bold statement and worth exploring