News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Started by Amphissa, Saturday 25 January 2014, 03:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

I am no longer seeing the link accompanying a post that would enable me to reply with a quotation from another person's post. I am perplexed by thgis. It is occurring with both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Any idea what is going on?

TerraEpon

I noticed it too, a few days ago.

Alan Howe

It's been removed as it was being over-used/used for no reason, etc. You can, of course use the "insert quote" icon on the reply screen if you wish to highlight a particular section of a post to which you want to respond.

Mark Thomas

Perhaps I should expand on what Alan has written. Because it appeared prominently at the top of a post, the "Quote" button was clearly being used habitually by some members instead of the "Reply" button, which only appears at the top and bottom of each page. The result was that the whole of the previous post was duplicated, quoted in the next one, a very irritating and entirely unnecessary practice which disrupts the flow of the "conversation", particularly if the preceding post was a long one. This wouldn't have been apparent to most members, as moderators removed the offending quote as soon as they read the message, so you'd only have seen an example if you read the message before a moderator did. Members who habitually did this were asked to stop it, and to be fair some stopped, but others ignored the request and so, because the button couldn't be moved and a perfectly usable alternative method for quoting exists, I removed it to save us moderators a particularly irritating chore.

If you want to quote from a previous post in your reply, hit "Reply". Every previous message in a thread is shown in the "Post Reply" window, and above each there's an "Insert Quote" button. Use that. It's just as convenient when you do want to pull up a quote, but avoids all the unnecessary quoting which was going on.

Hope that helps.