Raff/Järvi Chandos vol. 2 - Symphony 5 etc.

Started by jasthill, Tuesday 28 January 2014, 15:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Thanks. Looks like a March release - contents as follows:

Symphony No.5, Op.177 Lenore
Overtures:  Dame Kobold; König Alfred; Die Eifersüchtigen
Prelude to Dornröschen
Abends: Rhapsodie, Op.163b
Suisse Romande Orchestra
Neeme Järvi

Mark Thomas

Fingers crossed for another eye-opener. Thanks, Jasthill.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

It's certainly a well-filled CD. I hope that doesn't mean there are any cuts - or rushed tempi.

Alan Howe

Lenore, I understand, is going to be pretty swift. I think that'll work in the first, third and fourth movements, but I'm nervous about the slow movement, I have to say. Still, Järvi was convincing in the swiftly-taken slow movement of No.2, so...

Anyway, it's on order!

LateRomantic75

I felt Jarvi's recording of Symphony no. 2 and the Four Shakespeare Preludes was very convincing-Jarvi's conducting style fits the vim and vigor of Raff's music like a glove. It has been his overall failure to wallow (in a good way) in the lush romanticism of composers like Atterberg that has concerned me most. So, my hopes remain high for this upcoming recording!

JeremyMHolmes

It's already available for download via Chandos/TheClassicalShop for those who can't wait for the CD!  ::)

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

Here are some comparative timings:

Herrmann (p.1970)         Stadlmair (p.1999)              Järvi (p.2014)

1.   15:01                              12:40                                 10:29
2.   14:00                              11:53                                   8:04 
3.   12:34                              11:15                                   9:13
4.   14:48                              13:52                                 11:53
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      56:23                              49:40                                 39:39

Alan Howe

In listening to the Järvi, I'm reminded of Chailly's recent Beethoven Symphonies cycle. My reaction to both is "that shouldn't work" - but it does, once you accustom yourself to the overall concept. However, the 'Thielemann' inside me wants to wallow a bit more in the lyrical episodes, so, while genuinely appreciating Järvi's thorough spring-clean, I do think there's room for something a little more yielding.

Even more interesting is that Stadlmair, who was once deemed speedy, now seems merely 'moderate', with all the other recorded performances equating, perhaps, to a Giulini-type approach

FBerwald

Alan, I so agree with you on this one. This speed seems risky in theory but Järvi pulls it off like Chailly's Beethoven Symphonies and Hough's Tchaikovsky Concerto No. 1 on RPC 50. I am so getting this one. Thank you Järvi for a fresh approach to a forgotten giant!

Alan Howe

Another comparison with the way Järvi approaches Raff would be the great pre-war recordings of Brahms' symphonies conducted by Felix Weingartner (now available in much improved sound on Pristine Classical).

Gareth Vaughan

Having listened to the soundbites on the Chandos Classical Shop I must admit that the only movement which struck me as too fast was the opening of the 1st - this  did seem rushed to my ears.  All the others seemed to work very well, even (or actually especially) the second. I need to hear the whole work, however, before making a judgement.