News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Adolf Reichel

Started by Wheesht, Tuesday 04 February 2014, 09:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

I recently had an opportunity to read the autobiography of Adolf Reichel "Lebenserinnerungen" (1892), edited and written down in a private typescript by his great-granddaughter in 1981. In the foreword she mentions that his work list numbers over 500 pieces in strictly classical form, and that he wrote a textbook on harmony [published in 1862].

Here is a summary of interesting (from an UC point of view, I hope) aspects:

He was born in Turcznitz, Graudenz, West Prussia, on 30 August 1816, and died in Berne, Switzerland on 4 March1896.
From 1829 he lived in Berlin, and in 1835 he received his father's permission to study music full time. His first teacher was Ludwig Berger (1777-1839), who had been Mendelssohn's and Taubert's teacher. Music director Carl Theodor Hahn introduced Reichel to Siegfried Dehn, who immediately accepted him as his pupil. He then followed a call to the court of the Duke of Meiningen and in 1840 he left for Dresden. There he studied instrumentation with Reissiger – without great enthusiasm on either side – and composed a string quartet and an eight-part double fugue for solo and choral voices with orchestral accompaniment on the text 'Kyrie Eleison, Cristo Eleison'. Reichel's sister encouraged him to attend the first performance of Rienzi, but he left after the first act because 'I simply could not bear such music'. It was in Dresden that Bakunin and Reichel met and became friends, and they lived together for years: in Geneva, Bern, Brussels, and, from 1844, in Paris. Reichel also lived in Vienna for a short time from March 1842. Here he met Gounod; the violinist and close companion to Beethoven, Karl Holz; and the music historian Raphael Kiesewetter. In 1844 Reichel accompanied Bakunin to Paris and stayed there for 13 years. In Paris he composed more, amongst other things a Salve Regina and a mass for choir, soloists and small orchestra. He saw Gounod again and made Chopin's acquaintance. He soon found that he was able to make a living teaching the piano and later he gave concerts as pianist also featuring his own works. In the mid 1850s Reichel realised that he was no longer able to support himself and his family – he had got married in 1850 – and decided to leave Paris for Dresden. In Dresden he taught counterpoint and harmony at the newly founded conservatory and became the director of the Singing Academy. In the 1860s Reichel was seriously ill and went to Bern to recover. In January 1867 he followed a call from Bern to take over as musical director of the symphony orchestra and leader of the music school. Bern was just starting to institutionalise its musical life, and Reichel became an enthusiastic pioneer in helping to establish a regular symphony orchestra and other bodies. In 1884 he had to retire from all positions because of ill health.
An obituary in the 'Intelligenzblatt' in Bern refers to the well known fact that he was a representative of the old school. It mentions string quartets, lieder and a German Requiem that was performed by the Cäcilienverein in Bern in 1894. (I have not been able to find any other reference for this, though).

eschiss1

Ah, no idea he was so prolific. The biography sounds interesting. We have a broadcast of his 2nd symphony, and scores/parts of a few works of his (string quartet, piano trio, some songs, etc.) are at IMSLP, so the name is familiar, anyway (I'd like to hear the quartet sometime.)

Mark Thomas

As Eric says, Reichel's Second Symphony has been broadcast, and a recording is in our archive here.

Wheesht

I have downloaded the recording from the archive and enjoyed the music. I just wanted to add some details about his biography.

eschiss1

For which thanks- didn't mean to seem unappreciative, sorry!

Wheesht

I never did think you were unappreciative! I was actually prompted to write at some length because Mark had written in another thread that he'd be glad to have more information on Reichel. I have been in touch with one of Reichel's descendants who is himself a musician and very kindly let me borrow the autobiographical text. I'll try and see if any scores or other interesting materials are available in archives here in Switzerland. If there is a Second Symphony, then presumably there was a First and perhaps other orchestral works...

Mark Thomas

Well I was remiss in not thanking you for researching the extra information about Reichel,, and I'm very happy to put that omission right now. Very many thanks, Wheesht.

Wheesht

Thank you, Mark - I was happy to share what I have found. Unfortunately it was only a little as Reichel does not have much to say about his own compositions in his autobiography. I have just had a quick look at the Bern University Library online catalogue and out of the three pieces they have by him, one is actually on loan at the moment: Divertimento for 2 Flute, 2 Oboes, 2 Clarinets, in B, 2 Basset horns, 4 horns, and 2 bassoons with the support of 1 cello and 1 bass. Somebody else is apparently interested in Reichel. Surely, this is good news.

Florestano

It's good to know there's at least a handful of people who are interested in Adolf Reichel. My wife is his great-great-granddaughter, and our two sons are the sixth consecutive generation of professional musicians in the Reichel dynasty. A couple of months ago, after decades of search, we received Adolf Reichel's compositional heritage, a dozen heavy boxes of manuscripts that we are currently inventorizing. My wife just finished reconstructing the score of Reichel's 1st symphony in D minor from the orchestral parts. It sounds beautiful and fascinating. We also own the 2nd symphony in C  you are referring to. We are convinced that both symphonies (and more works) deserve being performed, unfortunately, persuading an orchestra or conductor to do so is another story ... Reichel's memoirs, preserved in Amsterdam (the autograph, apart from the typescript which is an abridged version) is one of the most exciting testimonials of musical (and political) life in 19th century Europe, as thrilling as a novel, and would deserve being published in extenso. I am currently preparing Wikipedia articles on both Adolf Reichel and his son Max (1863-1930), a violinist and pupil of Joseph Joachim. He later called himself "Henri Ern" and was a soloist, composer and professor in the U.S.A.. It's all going to be a huge of work and we are looking for help from universities, publishers and libraries but have only met with total disinterest so far.
Would anyone kindly help me with the Wikipedia articles, like proof-reading them ?
Again, thank you very much for your interest.

semloh

Florestano - welcome to Unsung Composers, and thank you for telling us your part in the Reichel lineage. It is heartening to know that you are working with such dedication on the musical heritage. On UC, we frequently bemoan the lack of interest in less well-known composers, and especially in the U.S., so I am saddened but not surprised by the responses you have had so far. Needless to say, I think the response here will be quite different, and it will be interesting to see what develops....

Once again welcome to Unsung Composers.  :)

Mark Thomas

Florestano, welcome indeed. I can only echo what semloh has written, and add that I have re-uploaded my recording of the broadcast of Reichel's Second Symphony. It's now available again, here. The best way to tackle the indifference you mention is persistence, believe me. I have been plugging away in the cause of Raff for quite a few years now, but it is beginning to bear fruit, I think. In the shorter term, I'm sure that we have one or two denizens of Wikipedia who will be happy to help you.

Alan Howe

Indeed, welcome, Florestano! I have the broadcast of Adolf Reichel's 2nd Symphony, which is a most enjoyable and interesting work. As Mark has said, do be encouraged to persist with your efforts on behalf of your ancestor. These days you never know who might be interested: there has never been so much neglected music recorded...

By the way: I lived for a year (76/77) in Detmold where I was an English Assistant at the Leopoldinum Gymnasium (Grammar School) before returning to England to do my teacher training. Small world!

eschiss1

Thanks likewise!
I've uploaded a few works by Reichel- portions of his string quartet and piano trio, e.g.- to IMSLP and would like to hear more of his work.
Re Wikipedia- can only try of course.

Alan Howe

I have been listening to Reichel's 2nd Symphony again and I must say it is a most winning work. The idiom is Beethoven/Schubert via Mendelssohn, with a real fund of memorable melodic material. I don't think it's an undiscovered masterpiece, but the writing is certainly distinguished and it really ought to have been recorded commercially by now.

Does anyone have any idea when Reichel 2 was written?

Aramiarz

Dear Florestano,
  Welcome! Other question, have You piano concertos in your heritage musical? You have reason some much conductors are very lazy (lazies?, excuse my poor english), And they don't want learn, research, etc. about this forgotten composers  :'(, What Other work(s), do You know is (or are) important in Reichel's legacy?