News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Tertius Noble (1867-1953)

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 18 November 2014, 05:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

a little. See IMSLP.  Not yet in sound, though, just score.

Alan Howe

Aramiarz

Not!!! In México lived one composer named Ramón Noble. He wrote interesting works for organ

semloh

His Nunc Dimittis, Magnificat in B minor, and assorted short religious works are available on You Tube..... but it's a new name to me.

Alan Howe

pcc

An organist friend of mine when I was an undergraduate held up his works to me, a number of which he had performed, as the epitome of "bland", which we all know is a dangerous word. This is the first time I've even read Noble's name in thirty years.

eschiss1

Phrases like "the epitome of bland" always remind me that most people never hear, or can hear, the vast majority of music that's been sketched and written (and in my opinion based on what little I know, may want to be thankful for that.)

Not to disagree with the primary, title guiding principle of this forum at all..., which to my mind just emphasizes that it's worth spending time looking for the wonderful stuff that -does- get lost/almost gets lost for all that preceding caution...

bulleid_pacific

T. Tertius Noble's Evening Service in B minor is one of the most famous in Anglican church music.  I don't hold it to be great by any means, but literally thousands of church choristers will have sung it, and I have a soft spot for it as I sang it many times in just such circumstances in my youth.  It crops up regularly on cathedral choir recordings, including Hyperion's "Mag & Nunc" series..... Worth it for the nostalgia alone, for those of a certain age when ordinary church choirs actually contained boy trebles.....

Jimfin

One can often be amazed by the difference between how a written score looks and how it sounds when it gets a performance. A lot of Sullivan's choral scores are fine examples of that.

Yuccahouse

A Yorkshireman who created an Anglican tradition in New York must have been a dynamic musician. As a boy treble I regarded his famous Mag and Nunc as one of the great events of the year. Singing it again after a gap of half a century and yes that power remains! Lucky tenors to have such lines...