The music of Laszlo Lajtha (1892 - 1963)

Started by DennisS, Monday 31 May 2010, 10:23

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

I recently came across the above-mentioned Hungarian composer by chance. I listened to sound samples on Amazon and liked what I heard, especially the use he makes of the harp in some of his works. I followed up by researching the net for more info on Lajtha. Of his 9 symphonies, it seems that symphonies 4 and 6 are the most accessible: playful, happy, pastoral music. It would seem that symphonies 8 + 9 are generally considered his greatest but I noted that according to critics his later works are marked by some dissonance? The sound bites do not really illustrate this. I am considering buying some of the cds available but wonder if any members of the forum are familiar with Lajtha's music and what views do they hold - which symphonies are the best? is there much dissonance in symphonies 8 + 9 etc. Your views would be most welcome.

cheers
Dennis

Alan Howe

wunderkind

Try his String Quartets - on Hungaroton label.  Some of his best music.

Hovite

The symphonies of Lajtha are on my wants list. I have only heard the 4th Symphony, on the radio, some years ago, but it made a big impression upon me, and fully intend to buy some CDs when funds, time, and space permit.

Jonathan

I have his Trio concertante and violin sonatina (for violin and piano) of his on CD as they were coupled with (some of) Liszt's works for piano trio.  I found them turgid and boring!  That's not to say his entire output is like this but I certianly wasn't inspired to go out and listen to more...

Kriton

Quote from: Jonathan on Monday 31 May 2010, 18:07
I have his Trio concertante and violin sonatina (for violin and piano) of his on CD as they were coupled with (some of) Liszt's works for piano trio.  I found them turgid and boring!  That's not to say his entire output is like this but I certianly wasn't inspired to go out and listen to more...
Same here, I was interested in the Liszt piano trio works, and got some boring Lajtha thrown in for bad measure. A shame those Liszt works didn't come with any of Lajtha's symphonies, but I do understand why... :D

Pengelli

Must admit I haven't read anything about this composer that made me want to try him. He is,apparently regarded as an important figure in Hungary,so maybe we're just hearing the wrong pieces. I remember some of his symphonies were recorded by Marco Polo,and ,admittedly,some of their recordings don't help the cause of an unfamiliar composer!
   On the other hand, I think I will,personally, be spending my cash on exploring more of the wonderful music of Raff!

Alan Howe

Why not actually try the music first before rushing to judgment?

Pengelli

And there I was trying to be open  minded,after some of the unfavourable postings,here!
  Quite frankly,unless you're a milionaire like Getty,there are only so many pieces of music or composers you can try. Unless I want the bailiff' around,I can only spend so much on cd's or downloads. At the moment.exploring the works of Raff has taken up most of cd my budget,and having been fascinated by neglected and ignored or unfashionable composers since I was a teenager,and spent hours on end ploughing through the reviews of Gramophone,British Music Society Journals,and any kind of book I can get hold of,and the small print of countless catalogues and mail order lists from record outlets dealing with all kinds of obscure and exotic recordings,I would think I had a pretty good track record in forming my own judgement,by now.
    The problem with a composer like Lajtha,as far as I am concerned,is not whether his music is worth listening to, or not. On the contrary, it just doesn't appeal to me enough to want to spend money on it,and the few samples I have been able to on the internet just seem to confirm my feelings about it. I just don't like the sound of what I've heard. At the same time he is,by all accounts,an important figure in his home country,for both political reasons,and cultural reasons,and because of his musical output. With respect to this, I was merely pointing out that,whatever one's personal reservations,unless his fellow countrymen are badly misinformed,he must have something going for him. I think that's pretty open minded.
  Come to think of it,I am pretty sure I have got an off air tape of one of his symphonies in a box,somewhere. I may have even thrown it out, but I don't wish to sound catty!

Pengelli

Just to prove how open minded I AM, I will stretch my budget to buying a Lajtha cd,this month. Who knows? In a couple of months time I could be running a Lajtha fansite?  David Hurwitz certainly rates him,and he's pretty fussy. (I'm not keen on Hurwitz,but at least he says something different,now and again).
  But please,no postings about Myaskovsky! He's another one I avoid. The only symphony that ever made an impression,was the 21st,in the old Unicorn recording. And there's so much..........
Cheers, Alan.

DennisS

Hi all
It seems that Lajtha's music is a case of ,,liking or loathing" his work. I listened to audio samples on the net and also did some research as well (Wikipedia et al). I liked what I heard. I then opened this thread on the forum as I was curious as to what others thought of his music. In the meantime though, I went ahead and ordered 2 cds anyway: symphonies 3+4 and symphonies 5+6. My decision was based on a) I liked the sound bites b) most critics generally agree that symphonies 4 and 6 are among Lajtha's most accessible works and c) I am very fond of the harp being incorporated into symphonic music. The first cd has since arrived – symphonies 3 + 4. I have listened to both works a couple of times and I am not disappointed. Symphony no 4 is indeed light, airy, joyous and full of nice orchestral touches. No, I would not qualify this music as "great" music but it is highly enjoyable all the same. I was however less keen on symphony no 3 as I found it a bit dreary. Bearing in mind that the symphony started out as film music to T.S. Eliot's "Murder in the cathedral" (the murder of Thomas à Becket) , it is understandable that I found this particular work a little grim but still interesting! I look forward to receiving the second cd. I know I will enjoy symphony no 6!

Cheers
Dennis

eschiss1

Quote from: Pengelli on Wednesday 02 June 2010, 10:30
Just to prove how open minded I AM, I will stretch my budget to buying a Lajtha cd,this month. Who knows? In a couple of months time I could be running a Lajtha fansite?  David Hurwitz certainly rates him,and he's pretty fussy. (I'm not keen on Hurwitz,but at least he says something different,now and again).
  But please,no postings about Myaskovsky! He's another one I avoid. The only symphony that ever made an impression,was the 21st,in the old Unicorn recording. And there's so much..........
Cheers, Alan.

Hrm. Given the title (vs. implied content and purpose) of the forum - Myaskovsky is less unsung nowadays than, say, Medtner or Weinberg, and there are projects afoot to record plenty of all three.  Which distinguishes them from the main matter of what-we-usually-discuss here, true.  (As a fan of those composers and eg Sorabji as well I'm accustomed to being in a minority of a minority of a minority of a minority (small subset of fans of good unsung pieces and composers of classical music - classical music itself of course appealing to a small and besieged minority to begin with.) Though of course one should still be prepared to make one's case for them as fans of eg Offenbach and ALW should as well if and as desired or even necessary...)

Eric

Pengelli

I carried out my 'threat',as promised & bought a Marco Polo cd of Symphonies 3 & 4,and a suite. My first impression was a positive one. Pleasant,melodious music,reminiscent of Roussel,with a bit of Martinu and maybe Bartok,at his most approachable,thrown in the mix,although Roussel,was the composer who most came to mind,for some reason.
The problem for me was that they were more like Suites than symphonies. Pleasant to listen to,but ultimately they didn't seem to have any end goal in sight. Even Bax's weakest symphonies,his fourth,(actually one of my favourites!),seem to have more momentum. Also,there did seem a certain sameness,after a while,as if the music was just wandering aimlessly around in search of a memorable tune or idea.
    On the other hand,these are early symphonies,and maybe the later ones are a bit more tightly constructed. (Hurwitz praises the MP cd's of the 8th and 9th to the hilt). There certainly is some enjoyable music here.Lajtha certainly had an ear for 'colour',and interesting textures.If only it was all a little more tightly focused. Not an entirely negative experience,however,and I will certainly try a bit more. Maybe Symphonies 5 & 6,next?!

Pengelli

Lajtha 5 & 6 is now ordered,bills,regardless! I wil eat my hat,Alan,(metaphorically speaking),with some sauce & misgivings! Whatever Lajtha's faults,(quite allot),there certainly are are some ear tickling sonorities here! Now,what was it I said about Myaskovsky?

Pengelli

Actually,only part of it,because ear tickling sonorities or not,his music does meander.........
(On second,thoughts I think I'll change my order to more Raff!) Yet,there is something 'there' though. Maybe R3 wil play some Lajtha in their night time schedule & help resolve my issues with this music,without having to pay for it!
Funnily enough,Lajtha's ear for sonority & colour brings to mind a symphonist,a little closer to home,also neglected. Namely,Daniel Jones,arguably,Wales's greatest symphonist. His music,is similairly,rife with 'ear tickling sonorities' and colour,yet like Lajtha,it seems to lack any real developement. Parts of his symphonies just seem to shift listlessly around. Something grabs your ears for a moment.and then it's gone. Lajtha seems the more focused of the two,but both seem to lack the feeling of structure that draws you in,and makes you want to listen right through to the end.