News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

A Generous Offer

Started by mikehopf, Friday 13 June 2014, 00:00

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Yes, but... transferring CDs is no problem - just takes a few seconds - but cassettes and tapes need to be played all the way through to transfer them on to digital media.

I estimated about that it would take at least  6,000 + hours to transfer my collection i.e. at say 8  hours a day = 2 -3  years!

Gerhard Griesel

Mikehopf's dilemma shows that perhaps there may be further possible initiatives that our group could look into: It would be fantastic if, on each continent, a centre could be established from where CDs could be exchanged, or where collections could be dumped, or given away free, or sold to other members, or donated, or disposed of in any sensible way.

Consider my situation: I am not a youngster any more, but I am still actively collecting CDs, and I am blessed with a wife who eagerly listens to everything in my collection. However, the low value of our (South African) currency as well as the expensive shipping rates (> $14) of Amazon, JPO, etc. have, for all intents and purposes, stalled my collection. I would love to get my hands on CDs that some of you may be disposing of.

A starting point could be a site where members could list what they have to sell / give away.

Dreaming?