Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

Swiss Radio tomorrow Sunday 13.45 CET:

Hermann Suter: Sinfonie d-Moll

Camille Saint-Saëns: Klavierkonzert Nr. 5 F-Dur «Ägyptisches»

Aargauer Symphonie-Orchester;
Conducted by Douglas Bostock
Piano Oliver Schnyder

http://www.srf.ch/sendungen/concerto/schweizer-musik-1914-hermann-suters-sinfonie-d-moll

eschiss1

Bostock?
... I wonder if this relates to a recording (at least the Suter, I guess) that might then be issued on the label Classico (if that label still exists- I think I've seen releases recently, but am not positive.) That'd be neat. Don't know if the other CD is still available...
I think my university library has the LP of (what I think is the first recording of) the symphony, but haven't heard it yet.  Will try to catch it.
Thanks!

Kevin Pearson

Is this a "live" performance of this piece? I'm going to set Audacity to record it for me. Of course the Suter is available on Sterling Records with Moscow Symphony Orchestra conducted by Adriano here:

http://www.sterlingcd.com/catalogue/cds1052a.html

Kevin

Wheesht

This recording is in all probability from the 2012 release on the Musiques Suisses label MGB CD 6274 (together with "Chilbizite" for orchestra by Werner Wehrli). @ Eric: According to an interview with Douglas Bostock by Martin Anderson in the May/June edition of Fanfare Classico 'got folded up'.

That Fanfare interview is in connection with a new release entitled Swiss Aspects (Coviello 31314) by Bostock and the Argovia Philharmonic with five orchestral works that I for one had never heard of (nor of some of the composers) but that is outside the new UC remit.

adriano

The first (mono LP) recording of the Suter Symphony was available on the CTS Grammont Swiss Music series, published in 1964; it was a Radio performance, and, as far as I remember, conducted by Hans Münch.

Alan Howe

I'll wager that the broadcast is of Bostock's recording - which is excellent, by the way.

adriano

Yes, it's Bostock's, which, incidentally, quite a few reviewers find a better recording than mine. The Wehrli coupling is unworthy. The problem is, that there is no other orchestral piece by Suter to be used as a coupling. I tried with my Moscow players to rehearse an own string orchestra version of Suter's Sextet, but this is so difficult, that even the original version had to be discarded.

eschiss1

Is his violin concerto in A major Op.23 recorded, btw? (pub.ca.1924)... admittedly one would need a soloist... (calling Hyperion Records.) (The parts and/or score do seem to be rentable, I see- description thereof at DNB- and RISM online has incipits of the three movements (in A major, D minor, D/A minor.)

eschiss1

Ah, never mind- yes, it has been, 10 years ago. (Though the Suter concerto was dedicated to violinist/composer -Adolf- Busch, even if it was, as the reviewer there writes, written for conductor/composer Fritz Busch... I find a dedication and written-for for/to the violinist makes more sense, somehow, but what-do-I-know!)

adriano

Yes, Suter's 29-minute Violin Concerto would have been an ideal coupling, but nobody wanted to play it - or to study it within the deadline the recording had to be issued. Another problem was the budget at our disposal: a supplementary fee for a violinist would have been too much. I had already said no to a conductor's fee and, additionally, arranged a special deal avoiding to have to pay for intrumental part's rental for the Symphony. Without all this, the CD would have not been possible. Bo Hyttner found the Moscow Symphony Orchestra's fee too high... It was not always easy to deal with his eternal low budget problems... For this CD had only received a sponsorship of 10'000 Swiss Francs from the Czeslaw Marek Foundation - and nothing else.

eschiss1

Ah. No offense intended and also thank you.