News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Works by Adolphe Adam?

Started by Rossini, Wednesday 23 July 2014, 18:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossini

Hi everyone,
does anyone perhaps have any recordings of Adolphe Adam's operas, and especially La poupee de Nuremberg? I know the recording which is on yt, but there should be at least one more which was recorded on LP - can't find it though.
Thanks in advance!
Paul

JimL

I'd actually like to see what, if anything Adam composed besides vocal or stage music.  Or was he the prototype for Délibes?

Alan Howe

QuoteDélibes

C'est Delibes, je crois.

eschiss1

Adam wrote a few (if one calls 100-plus a "few") early piano variation works and such, far as I know- one finds them listed in HMB and they are in a few libraries still. I don't know of anything "substantial" by him outside the dramatic vocal sphere, though.

(Ouais - Clément Philibert Léo Delibes - D-underemphasized"uh"-libes, rather than D-ay-libes. Je crois ainsi moi-même.

JimL

Well, to paraphrase Groucho Marx, I knew there was an accent in there somewhere.

eschiss1

See e.g.

Capriccio on a Protestant Chorale, Op.100 (on the chorale from Meyerbeer's Les Huguenots (I'm guessing the same one as is the basis of Liszt's organ work?...); for piano solo, pub. (correction!) 1836 by Mori & Lavenu, London.)

Alan Howe

QuoteWell, to paraphrase Groucho Marx, I knew there was an accent in there somewhere.

You're right, Jim. It's in his first name - Léo. (Or, more fully: Clément Philibert Léo.)

mikehopf

That's an acute observation, Alan.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Wheesht

Apparently, Delibes was sometimes accused of plagiarism and referred to as "Le Dieb" (the thief)  — so no accent in his name... Thought I'd put in my tuppence worth before the thread, quite rightly, returns to Adam.