Charles Welton Hickin 1876-1968

Started by giles.enders, Monday 28 July 2014, 10:51

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Charles Henry Welton Hickin  Born Lambeth, London  16.9.1876 -  Died 3.5.1968  Walton-on-Thames, England.

The son of a schoolmaster Charles Hickin, Charles Henry studied at The Royal Academy of Music, London, later becoming a Fellow and Professor there.  In his professional life he was sometimes known as Welton Hickin.
Apart from teaching he was a composer, pianist and organist.  For a period he was organist and choirmaster at St.Jude's Church, East Brixton, which is where he married his wife Elizabeth Poole in 1904. They had two children*.  In 1934 he founded the Walton and Oatlands Choral Society. 

Orchestral

Concerto overture in D
Concertstuck for piano and orchestra in G
Andante and allegro for piano and strings

Chamber

Suite Mignonne:  Scherzo, Allegretto and Rondo.  1907   pub. by Anglo-French Music Co.
Three miniature Dances: Gavotte, Minuet and Polonaise.  1928
Andante and Allegro for clarinet and piano

Piano

Sonata in E flat
Prelude and Gavotte
Theme and variations for two pianos
Surrey Rhapsody
Scherzo in E minor piano four hands

Song

Sweetest May
The Three Jovial Huntsmen  - unison song

Church

Evening Service in E flat  1899 pub. by J. Williams

Leonard Charles Hickin  1905-1966 For much of his life he was a priest in W.Africa.
Irene Emily Hickin  1911-    Married Sydney Ashley in 1937

Gareth Vaughan

The entry on COPAC: http://copac.ac.uk/search?&author=Hickin%2C+Welton&sort-order=ti%2C-date
gives a few other pieces and lists the Andante and Allegro as being for piano and strings. No sign of the Concert Overture nor the Piano sonata. RAM holds score and parts for the Concertstuck. These seem to have been donated by a Christopher Hickin, presumably the composer's son or nephew.

giles.enders

The orchestral items, I have taken from his list submitted to a pre 1914 annual.

Gareth Vaughan

I'm surprised that the Evening Service does not seem to be available. I would have thought that it might have been published. I would also have been interested to see what the Piano Sonata was like.

eschiss1

The Evening Service? Worldcat lists it as having been published by London: J. Williams, ca.1899 and being in the possession of St. Pancras. Is there something I'm missing? (Note that it's under "Charles H W Hickin", not "Welton Hickin", but I assume that was not the problem, of course! I just had Worldcat do an advanced search for music scores with "Hickin" as author- all it turned up was 6 items. Much less advanced and sophisticated than a COPAC search. But I am guessing that it is not actually where it -claims- it is- a not-unusual problem, as e.g. the Library of Congress librarians tell me. Still, it was published, even if Pancras BL may not have it...)

Gareth Vaughan

No. You are right, Eric. A copy of the Evening Service is held at BL under the name of Charles H.W. Hickin, which must be the same chap. It is the only original item, however, listed under that name, and it is not listed under Welton Hickin. Such are the idiosyncrasies of librarians.

giles.enders

It has puzzled me that as Hickin was both an organist and choirmaster, he did not write more choral/church music.  I suspect he did but where to look is the question?

thalbergmad

I think the Concertstuck may well have been performed as there are some markings on the manuscript.

It says: R A M Concert, (Dulwich Philharmonic Society) Torquay Municipal Orchestra.

Mr Hickin liked his octaves. Looks like a promising work. Perhaps a stocking filler for a Hyperpion RPC British Edition.

Thal

thalbergmad

For the purpose of correct information, Christopher Hicken is the composers grandson and he is still alive.

Thal

giles.enders

Is anyone in touch with him or are there any contact details?

thalbergmad

I have had a couple of pleasant e mail exchanges. He willingly gave permission for me to get copies from the RAM and allowed me to pass them on to the Lord Hyperion, who hopefully will be interested.

Damned decent fellow.

Thal