Richard Stöhr: Cello Sonata etc. on Toccata

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 01 August 2014, 15:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

No, I'd never heard of Richard Stöhr (1874-1967) either, but I do urge anyone who enjoys romantic chamber music to explore a new release from Toccata Classics of his only works for cello and piano: a three movement Cello Sonata and four Fantasiestücke. Stöhr was a pupil of Robert Fuchs, and that heritage shines through in this richly lyrical music, rooted firmly in the 19th century. I was reminded of some of Röntgen's more ambitious chamber compositions. The Fantasiestücke are a delight: somehow managing to combine delicacy with substance, and always ingratiating. As befits a wartime work (it dates from 1915) the Sonata is more serious but, even though the dark-hued central slow movement seems clearly linked to the conflict, and the outer movements are solid, mature pieces, I wouldn't describe it as a solemn work. Stöhr was a generous melodist and these works certainly demonstrate that he could not only pen a good tune, but knew how to use it appropriately.  As is so often the case, Martin Anderson has chosen his performers with care, and I doubt whether Stöhr could get two more persuasive advocates than cellist Stefan Koch and his accompanist  Robert Conway. This is a very welcome discovery, all the more so when one notices the "Chamber Music Volume One" headline on the booklet! Mind you, on this showing I'd certainly be enthusiastic about hearing something from his extensive catalogue of orchestral music - there are no less than seven symphonies, for instance.

The scheduled release date is 4th August, but it's already available as a download from the Toccata web site here - as are generous sound bites and the booklet notes.

JimL

Wasn't he a violinist?  I seem to recall from the old forum that he penned a violin concerto (B minor???) of some worth.

Mark Thomas

Konzertphantasie for Violin and Orchestra in D minor Op.50? There's no mention of him being a violinist in the Wikipedia entry I linked to in my post, but he did write fifteen Violin Sonatas.

eschiss1

Having skimmed the first of his string quartets and noticed his name popping up in HMB from time to time in the early 20th century, I've become (typically for me, unfortunately) intrigued already. I notice that he performs as a pianist in an (older-ish) recording of one of his own works that's available and remastered, iirc... (a websearch turns this up). Do any mss survive or are we limited to such scores as survived war bombings, btw? There's already been a recording or two (besides the one I just mentioned) - a wind and piano work or three, I think- and yes, the prospect of his complete (surviving?) chamber music sounds good.

Practicality suggests (as I may have muttered at some point before) that I not hold my breath waiting for his symphonies or concertos (which I don't know anyway even in score) - symphony in A minor, Op.18, and others, iirc - but - hrm.

The following works are Wishlist-ed @ IMSLP.

String Trio, Op.16 (pub. 1913)
    Kammersymphonie, Op.32 (pub. by 1921, repub. 1921)
    Cello Sonata, Op.49 (pub. 1919)
    Flute Sonata, Op.61 (pub.1921) (recorded a decade ago)
    Concerto for Cornet à Pistons, Op.40 (pub.1914, Oertel, Piano version?)
    Musikalische Formenlehre (pub.ca.1911)
    Violin Sonata in G, Op.27 (pub.1911)
    Symphony in A minor, Op.18 (pub.1911, Feuchtinger) (Munich has this)

Aside from that we have the String Quartet in D minor Op.22 and the Piano Quintet in C minor Op.43 already uploaded (PD-US-only for now.)

Alan Howe

I second Mark's remarks about the CD. The Sonata's a most lovely, mature piece of writing.

Aramiarz

I have some much interest in this Cd, your words are useful for me. Fuchs wrote some cycles that denominated Fantasiestücke with diverses instruments, piano (op 49 & 89), violin And piano op 75, cello& piano op 78, contrabass And piano (Op 98?), piano&violin&cello op 57, it's interesting that Richard as Fuchs's student wrote too with concept: Fantasiestücke. :D