Hugo Stähle Piano Quartet

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 07 August 2014, 09:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

The Stähle quartet sounds absolutely gorgeous. A must buy for me.

Alan Howe

Friesner

Apparently a reissue of a 1987 disc with a slightly revamped cover.  I wonder when the American (re-)release date will be; as of now all we have are a couple of used copies on offer for idiotic prices.  In any event it's a must-have for me as well. 

Mark Thomas

Quotea reissue of a 1987 disc
So it is. I wonder why I didn't buy it the first time around? Amazon.co.uk is offering second hand copies of the original CD for £10.62. A bit cheaper than the $45 demanded in the US!

jerfilm

Funny, Mark, you gotta wonder if anyone really wants a cd like that enough to pay $45 or sometimes as high as $200??  When you think the producers complain that they can't sell discs at $16.........hmmmmm.....

Jerry

Alan Howe

The Stähle is an absolutely gorgeous work - full of utterly memorable melodies. I guarantee that once you've heard the first movement you'll be humming it all day. It should be a repertoire piece. What a loss Stähle's early death was (he wasn't even 22).

Alan Howe

Just returned to this wonderful work. If there's a more melodious piece of unsung romantic chamber music, I don't know it. Utterly glorious throughout.