Cornelis Dopper Cello Concerto

Started by JimL, Tuesday 12 August 2014, 19:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

That's what Ilja's promised to look into when he gets back to work, Amphissa. *points!*

Ilja

The movement titles of Dopper's Cello Concerto turn out to be:

1. Allegro
2. Adagio
3. Andantino (Intermezzo)
4. Finale. Allegro giocoso

Couldn't find it at the Netherlands Music Institute, but luckily someone knew someone who knew someone.

eschiss1

Thanks! but too bad they couldn't find it, if that means the work's performance material is probably lost... :(

Mark Thomas

The score and parts were obviously still extant in 1964, when the YouTube recording was made but, of course, that's 50 years ago now...

JimL

I got the answer from Joop Stam, Dopper's biographer, and Ilja has it correctly.  I'm hoping that the score is at the Dopper Society.

Gareth Vaughan

eschiss1

Well, I knew they were listed there- that's where I also looked (the NMI list of manuscripts by or arranged by Dopper etc.- part of a large useful-looking set of lists they maintain regarding their collections generally), but I thought Ilya was saying they didn't - well, it's not unheard of for something to be listed in an inventory but not to be in a collection (qv Library of Congress catalog)

Gareth Vaughan

I took "couldn't find it" to mean temporarily mislaid - or perhaps the person couldn't be bothered to look very hard. That happens too, Eric, as you know (cf. Peters over parts for Litolff's 2nd Concereto Symphonique when first approached by Hyperion). But NMI list three copies of the Partitur (004/152a to 152c); it would seem odd for them to have lost all three!

Ilja

I don't think it was lost at all - it was even printed, IIRC. The thing is that a few years ago, the NMI suffered sizeable budget cuts; therefore, there are very limited hours to look at pieces that aren't shared in the Royal Library catalogue. And since a friend was sitting next to a copy somewhere else, I didn't think it necessary to delve any deeper.

eschiss1

Aren't those three copies of three versions- full score, reductions? I forget. Would have to recheck. Anyhow, glad that worked out, but as noted before, short-sighted, Americanized budget cuts to national heritage, there*. Not a path of ours I wish Europe were following - rather, vice versa, if I am making any the least sense (probably not.)

*(Though our Library of Congress still has a fine and large digital website devoted to just that with many subsections and a wide scope (memory.loc.gov ) - music and much else - incl. the Moldenhauer Archives (well, those parts that are online) &c and- well, anyway- but - ... suffice to say I was speaking _generally_. The LoC I adore and hope to visit at least once or thrice (or 10x) for some nice, serious-fun music research, one these days :^) but that's a tangent.)

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteAren't those three copies of three versions- full score, reductions?

Not according to the catalogue - unless I'm being stupid. The piano/cello score +cello part is a separate catalogue item. One of the catalogue entries for a Partitur includes also a set of parts and a piano reduction (I think). Take a look and see if I'm reading the catalogue correctly - my Dutch is non-existent  :)

eschiss1

no, no, I'm sure you're right, I made the - doubly stupid- mistake of going by memory. (As if I -had- a memory, which "in detail and general" as it were, I think it safe to say... :) )