Joseph Jongen: Chamber Music for Flute

Started by minacciosa, Tuesday 26 August 2014, 18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

minacciosa

Joseph Jongen: Chamber Music

A cd was released in January by flutist Linda Bento-Rei containing chamber music by Joseph Jongen that features the flute. The repertoire: Concert à Cinq Op.71, Sonate pour Flute Op.77, Rhapsodie Op.70, and Danse Lente Op.56.  All works except the Rhapsodie have appeared before on disc. In each case the performances equal or better those earlier recordings. The Rhapsodie is this recording's crowning achievement. It's a sextet for winds and piano, and it is one of Jongen's most engaging creations for chamber ensemble. Bento-Rei's performance of the Flute Sonate is simply excellent. She has a laconic style that is just right for the music, yet is somewhat at odds with the prevailing manner of flute soloists, many of who seem to be trying to be violinists. The other players (largely fro the Boston Symphony) are uniformly excellent as well. Featured among them is Ann Hobson Pilot, retired former principal Harp of the Boston Syphony, and dedicatee of John Williams' Harp Concerto "On Willows And Birches".

I cannot recommend this recording too highly. It's not assigned to a label, but is available at Amazon, iTunes, Cd Baby, Cd Universe, and from the artist.
http://lindabento-rei.com/#the-jongen-project

mjkFendrich

Just a minor correction: Jongen's Rhapsodie op.70 has been recorded and released on CD before as well.
It is part of a fascinating CD entitled 'The French Connection' played by the superb Hexagon ensemble and
released by the Dutch label Etcetera in 2003 (KTC 1259) -  see http://www.hexagon-ensemble.com/recordings/french_connection.php.

minacciosa

Thanks for that correction. I believe it was actually recorded before the Etcetera, during the 90's for Koch, but that was never released.

TerraEpon

Hmmm, I have the 'Concerto for Wind Quintet' (which I assume is the first referenced piece) played by The Sylvan Winds that I got as a DL from eMusic.
If the rest of the music is as nice I might put this disc on my radar....

.....oh and I have the Danse Lente too. Hmmmm.....

(As well as the Aria and Polonaise, Op. 128 which of course isn't on this disc. That one is on a trombone CD I own. It's on BIS clearly given that Lindberg is the trombonist)

minacciosa

The Concerto for Wind Quintet Op.124 is a different work. Concert a Cinq is Op.71

DennisS

I have just been listening to sound bites of this Cd and am very impressed by the lyricism in all works: truly charming. Sound bites can be heard on http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lindambentorei. Also on the afore-mentioned site are detailed descriptions of all works on the CD. Needless to say, I am now placing my order.

minacciosa

Wonderful! I think you will find the works to be vastly more than charming.

DennisS

I have been listening to this CD for several days now. I am always on the lookout for flute music and was immediately attracted to this CD for that particular reason. I of course listened to sound bites and based on this somewhat limited listening experience, I posted that I found the music lyrical and charming, whilst at the same placing my order for the CD. Reading this thread, you will see that Minacciosa posted that I would find the music "vastly more than charming"! I can now report that I find the music - without gushing TOO much! - cool, elegant, sensuous, charming, delightful, very well-crafted, beautifully orchestrated, hypnotic, captivating and sophisticated! No surprise then, if I say that, for me, this is my chamber music CD discovery of the year! I am particularly fond of the Concert à Cinq for flute, violin, viola, cello, and harp, with its many nods to Debussy and Ravel. I would also like to mention that the Sonate pour flûte et piano - a cool and sensuous work - has a marvellous final movement "Gigue:Allegro" : and is one of the most joyous movements in a chamber work that I have heard in a long while! The final major work on the CD, "Rhapsodie" for flute, oboe, clarinet, basson, horn and piano, is also a very fine work and beautifully constructed. I , obviously, highly recommend this CD!

Aramiarz

Dear friends, thank you very much for their comments. I like very much Jongen, I have some much cd's from him, but the Rhapsodie not yet!! I will get it. I want share with you, one very bad new. The CEBEDEM in Belgium will be close forever this month. They have Jongen's scores, moreover Rasse, Marinus de Jong, etc. The Belgium government doon't provide more funds for them. Is sad that in critical times the culture is very much affected.

eschiss1

minacciosa

If CeBeDem closes, how will we obtain Jongen? They were the only outlet for many of his scores. That's a tragedy, and frankly unpatriotic.

Aramiarz

I have the information that  there are strong posibilities that the  Conservatoire will receive part of the CEBEDEM material

eschiss1

I hope they will keep some access to it online; those interesting worklist webpages were very useful. I hope in general that the Belgian people and government are able and willing, realize, what a treasure they have had and do have in their musicians and other artists, and will support them so :)

eschiss1

It looks like the CeBeDeM composer database is still available online - I am glad the Conservatoire (or whoever; I have not checked the WhoIs to see who is actually maintaining cebedem.be now) is spending money to maintain such a large and useful database (of composers, biographies, worklists, etc.)  Good on them. (I've only checked under one composer, since my computer's a bit slow today... but... )

mjkFendrich

A new recording containing some of Jongen's chamber music for wind instruments has been released recently
from Phaedra (from where downloads as mp3 or flac are available as well):

http://www.phaedracd.com/en/cd-s/in-flanders-fields/product/149-in-flanders-fields-vol-85

I've discovered it thanks to a new review on MusicWeb from today

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Jan/Jongen_wind_92085.htm