Music for Cello & Piano by Henselt

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 02 September 2014, 08:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

As far as I am aware, Henselt wrote only 2 pieces of chamber music: the Piano Trio in A minor, Op. 24 and the Duo for Cello and Piano, Op. 14 recorded here. The other pieces listed are all for solo piano, unless they have been arranged (perhaps by the performers) for cello and piano.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

This is not -absolutely- entirely 100% accurate, I think (though close enough...) There are fragments (ok, hrm- a fragment? 16 bars) of a work for string quartet (perhaps an albumblatt, perhaps not intended to be large-scale) in G minor by him in manuscript at the Berlin Staatsbibliothek, I see on RISM (autograph, not arrangement at other hands. Though I don't know his output that well- maybe it's an arrangement by him of another work of his?)

Here's the RISM link, new style (apparently SBB has a collection of Henselt autographs. RISM's descriptions look interesting; if any have been- I think they have been (ah: RISM says 5 have been- including the quartet fragment)- digitized by SBB, and I think some of the others may be complete and playable brief piano works, then the list of Henselt piano works available to the pianist has now increased slightly thanks to their preservation efforts. I suspect/am guessing there will soon be official typeset editions, if there aren't already.)

BTW online URL for digital scan of the 16 bars for string quartet by Henselt.

JimL

I'm betting that the Horn Duo was arranged for cello here.

Gareth Vaughan