Martin Scherber - symphony 1

Started by der79sebas, Saturday 04 October 2014, 08:14

Previous topic - Next topic

der79sebas

Swiss conductor Adriano has recorded Martin Scherber's 1st symphony with the Bratislava Symphony Orchestra. As the other Scherber symphonies (the 3rd has been released on col legno long ago, the second can be ordered at  http://www.martin-scherber.de/scherber-bestellung-zweite.html) number 1 sounds like *better* Bruckner but is not so crazy as 2 & 3. I do not yet know the label where this 28-minutes symphony (coupled with songs) will be released. For those who have never heard of Martin Scherber before: Rush out to listen!

Aramiarz

Thank You for share this new release! Sure our friends add more info about Scherber's symphony. I don't  know nothing about this composer before your comment

der79sebas

There is not much to know about Martin Scherber (1907-74). He wrote only a few chamber-works and three symphonies, where the influence of Bruckner can be heard easily. The third symphony is probably the most haywire piece of music I know, and I know many such pieces... Some fragments (not the most spectacular) can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_hj6Nsnhk

Aramiarz

Dear der79sebas
   Thank You for share the info and link, I will listen it soon  :D

adriano

Martin Scherber's First Symphony (which I recorded in August this year in Bartislava) will be probably issued on Guild, coupled with some of his songs for tenor and piano. There was no other orchestra piece by this composer to record. Scherber has a (German) website with a lot of infos:
http://www.martin-scherber.de/
The First Symphony is quite an exciting piece. After the recording, the musicians (who loved the piece) congratulated me, saying that it is such a pity that noboby gives me Bruckner to conduct...

Alan Howe

Thanks, Adriano, for this information. Another intriguing release to look out for!

adriano

Thanks Alan  :)
Incidentally, in November, Bruns Fourth (coupled with his Rhapsopdy for orchestra) willl be released; and around March 2015 his Second (coupled with his monumental Symphonic Prologue). My rendering of the Second Symphony will be totally different from the two already available recordings, definitely more conform to Brun's original tempo indications... Still, the two renderings by Henzold and Kitaenko are splendid and they have the "Scherzo" (which is not called so in the score) in a quite faster tempo, but I do it more dance-like and in the tradition of Bruckner and, since it has a lot of slower sections in-between - I adapt my tempo to these. On the other hand, Kitaenko makes of the first movement a very slow affair which soudns wonderfully, but falls almost apart; Henzold is more brilliant. I do something in-between. Kitaenko's faster "Scherzo" sections are almost breathless, but really great; Henzold, again, is super. Kitaenko even makes of the opening bars of the Symphony a slow introduction, which is not indicated as such by the composer. Well, I hope that my interpteation will be appreciated...
The Forth Symphony is a very original work, another step forward in Bruns development.
In this forum, nobody has reacted yet to my CD with Brun's works for Piano an orchestra, alas...
http://musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Sep14/Brun_PC_GMCD7409.htm
Regards from Zurich to all
Adriano

Alan Howe

Thanks for the further update, Adriano. More intriguing releases to look forward to!
I must give the Brun PC a proper listen and write up my thoughts.

M. Yaskovsky

Alan Howe

adriano

Thanks, Alan and M. Yaskovsky  :P
The Jaques-Dalcroze CD should also be available now Sterling CDS 1116-2.
And the Brun box on Brilliant Classics will be released soon!

Alan Howe

My copy arrived today. I suppose the description of 'pocket-Bruckner symphony' is unavoidable as the idiom clearly owes much to Anton, but it's nevertheless an intriguing listen; the question of how one writes a Bruckner-inspired symphony that lasts less than half an hour is, after all, a fascinating one in itself. So, does it work? Well, I suppose so, although I'm not certain yet whether the accelerated pace of development really lends itself to this particular idiom. For example, the coda seems to arrive rather jarringly, without the sense of inevitability of Bruckner. However, I'd rather listen to this than, say, the frustratingly epigrammatic efforts of Havergal Brian.

Many congratulations to Adriano and his Bratislava players for yet another act of cultural preservation! The sleevenotes, by the way, are a mine of information and exhibit the sort of erudition one wishes was characteristic of all such efforts.

adriano

Many thanks, Alan, for your compliments! And I agree with all you write about the piece  8)

UnsungMasterpieces

I gave the symphony a listen on Spotify yesterday, and it sounds very interesting. Because of the name "Metamorphosen-Sinfonien" Scherber gave to his symphonies, I was expecting some kind of avant garde, but it isn't! It sounds a lot like Bruckner, especially the first two minutes of the first movement.

The Kinderlieder were also very enjoyable.

I'd consider this CD an important release.

eschiss1

Listened to it on NML this morning. I expect I will enjoy the Lieder as well. Terrific music!