News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Wagenaar vol.2 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 18 October 2014, 07:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

alberto

For me certainly a Cd to buy. Even it will be ungenerous in timing (n.1 was 50'16"), it appears to contain just one work (De Cid) duplicating the magnificent Chailly Decca Cd.

Alan Howe

Aramiarz

Dear Alan, thank You for share the new with us!

JimL

The Sinfonietta in C is a marvelous piece.  Looking forward to this!

Aramiarz

Ok Jim, Have you listened this work in other version?

JimL

Just the one on YT.  Haven't checked to see if it's still there.

semloh

My mp3 of the Sinfonietta is tagged as by the Dutch RSO/Klas, ex-BBC R3. I actually thought it was a UC download, but maybe it's from elsewhere. In any case, I'm happy to put it up on UC if anyone wants it, provided it satisfies our criteria.

eschiss1

... I realize the composers aren't related, but this makes me curious how the orchestral music, e.g. the (4+?) symphonies, of Bernard Wagenaar (1894-1971) sounds, whether i.e. it's appropriate for this forum. Hrm. Maybe there's a way to find out. ...

Mykulh

Eric,
   You might want o check that. My research makes the two Wagenaars father and son. Of course, I could be wrong.

eschiss1

I seem to find a number of sources that have Bernard studying with Johan. NMI mentions Bernard among students, also mentions Johan's marriage and two daughters but no sons. Your research may be better it goes without saying- don't hide its light under a bushel?

Mykulh

Look in Baker's, usually the most reliable source of composers' biographical information.

Sibeliusfan

As not all Joneses are related, in this country not all Wagenaars are family. The best biography is: Johannes Wagenaar & Jaap van Benthem: Johan Wagenaar (1862-1941) : Leven en werk van een veelzijdig kunstenaar." Walburg Pers, Zutphen, 2004. ISBN 90 5730 334 5
But of course you have to know Dutch to be able to read it. Johannes Wagenaar (yes, he is a relative) and Van Benthem stick to one wife and two daughters for Johan Wagenaar and no sons, even no illegitimate.

Sharkkb8

Also (available now) from Amazon USA and iTunes.  iTunes USD $9.99, Amazon USD $16.99 plus a few third-party sellers are offering, starting around $13.  These are USA sites, it's always murky as to how much or little carryover there is to counterpart non-USA Amazon and iTunes sites.  Happy hunting!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/wagenaar-sinfonietta-vol.-2/id952460569

http://www.amazon.com/Johan-Wagenaar-Symphonic-Poems-Vol/dp/B00P3B5IK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1422327480&sr=1-1&keywords=WAGENAAR