Benito Bersa - Sinfonia tragica - Idyll 'My Wedding Day' Op.25b

Started by eternalorphea, Monday 20 October 2014, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic

eternalorphea

Idyll Op.25b
https://soundcloud.com/filippo-depario/benito-bersa-sinfonia-tragica-idillio-my-wedding-day-op25b

Sinfonia tragica - quattro ricordi dalla mia vita (Tragic symphony - four memories from my life) in C-minor:
I. Overture drammatica (Dramatic Overture), Op. 25a (1900)
II. Idillio (Idyll) 'My wedding day', Op. 25b (1902)
III. Capriccio-Scherzo, Op. 25c (1902)
IV. Finale: Vita nuova ('New Life'), Op. 25d (1902. Unfinished; piano sketch)

Aramiarz

Interesting post, never I had listened about this composer. Italian?

eschiss1

Croatian. Born Benito Bersa but later went by, (marginally. slightly. relatively.) better known as, Blagoje Bersa. 1873-1934. Student of Ivan Zajc and Robert Fuchs, both of whom have been mentioned before in these fora :)  Bersa's music turns up very occasionally on Euroclassic Notturno (in fact I think I've caught one of the movements of Op.25 there. Not sure, though. I thought they were works of themselves and not movements of a larger one, however. Thanks for that.)

semloh

Thanks for that link, eternalorphea. How marvellous to have an opportunity to listen to this work.

Yes, Eric, I also thought the Dramatic Overture stood as a single piece in its own right, and I think I downloaded it from UC in the distant past. In any case, this is a beautiful symphony. I am at a complete loss to know why it, and its composer, have been so neglected.  :(