Romantic Violin Concerto Vol. 18

Started by FBerwald, Wednesday 22 October 2014, 21:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Aramiarz

Dear Mark: good eye for Guilmant identification!, :o, Hyperion answer You?
Dear Gareth: the PC And Harp concert And one Passacaglia are in the Cd. I don't remember well If the performance is since 1950's. I have these Cd. I will revise it.

Mark Thomas

No, no reply yet from Hyperion. I'll post when (and if) they do.

Gareth Vaughan

Dear Aramiarz,
The CD you have will almost certainly be of the recording by Eduardo del Pueyo with the Belgian Natonal Orcherstra under Fernand Quinet. It dates from 1955.

minacciosa

Musically and technically that recording still holds up very well today.

Gareth Vaughan

There is, unfortunately, considerable distortion in places of the sound on the PC - at least on the disk I have. The other pieces fare much better and have perfectly acceptable sound.

eschiss1

Wait, are we still talking about the Hyperion disc?...

Gareth Vaughan

What Hyperion disk, Eric? The Jongen PC has not been recorded by Hyperion - yet. It's the VC they've recorded! Sorry. This is my fault for creating a digression about Jongen's Piano Concerto. Let's forget about that and concentrate on the subject of this thread. Apologies again for leading folk up a blind alley.

eschiss1

well, if I didn't follow people up them so readily, I wouldn't have such high repair fees for my spectacles. Ouch. *bump*
Anyhow, agreed, agreed.
Some of the works on the disc have, I think, been uploaded here, thanks largely to minacciosa and his performances (also available sometimes on his Youtube channel); has anyone heard this particular Lazzari work somewhere, maybe in a broadcast?...

Aramiarz

The Lazzari piece is very rare, I searched And never found where was the score. I think so that is one premiere in all sense!

Maybe the Jongen repertoire too are discoveries And there aren't anyone recording And broadcasting.

There are forgotten works until today!

eschiss1

The French national library has a violin/piano reduction of the Lazzari, anyways... see here. (as does the Dutch Royal Library and a number of others). As to the full score, hrm. Let's see. Heugel may have only rented the parts. Now what became of Heugel again... ah, merged with Leduc. No results under Leduc for works by Lazzari...

It seems to have been premiered by Enesco in March 1923 after the violin/piano version was published in 1922, btw. From Le Figaro for 12 March 1923, as digitized by Gallica.bnf.fr : " Enesco a fait entendre aussi, à la même séance, et pour la première fois, une Rapsodie
pour violon et orchestre de M. Sylvio Lazzari" (séance here referring to concert or gathering, not spirituality... as in, the same appearance as the Bach A minor violin concerto performance by him that we (the writer for the Figaro, not _we_) just mentioned- or something like that.)

Aramiarz

Dear Erick, very interesting your research! The Hyperion booklet surely has more interesting information about  these works

eschiss1

And fortunately, Hyperion usually makes the booklet available for free online.

Aramiarz

It's true, few labels, made it thus!

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

The Jongen/Lazzari CD is one of the best in the RVC series. Two outstanding features: absolutely outstanding playing from Philippe Graffin and superlative support from Martyn Brabbins and the Royal Flemish Philharmonic (of Antwerp). Brabbins must be one of our finest conductors these days. Nothing he does is ever routine - and he's a great advocate of the unsung repertoire.

The music itself is richly - and I mean richly - enjoyable. With Jongen's VC I suppose the debt to Franck is obvious, although Wagner looms everywhere too. However, somehow Jongen manages to make the idiom his own. I can't think of many VCs that sound like Jongen's, i.e. that pit the soloist against a quasi-Wagnerian orchestra with all the stops pulled out (as it were!)

Anyway, more comments as I audition the remainder of the programme. But do buy the CD...