Cliffe Symphony No.2 Recording Project

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 05 November 2014, 15:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I have heard from conductor Christopher Fifield that he would like to plan a private recording of Frederic Cliffe's Symphony No.2 (as yet unrecorded) during the summer of 2015. The work would be performed by the Lambeth Orchestra conducted by Chris himself (an orchestra he knows well), with a couple of rehearsals being followed by a day spent making the recording itself. The recording day is planned for Saturday July 18th 2015, between 10am and 5pm at All Saints Church, West Dulwich, London.

Although no subsequent public performances are currently planned, the Symphony may well be programmed during a future season of the Lambeth Orchestra.

As you can imagine, there will be costs to cover, i.e. the hire of a couple of extra instrumentalists needed for the Symphony, recording fees, and hire of venues for the rehearsals and the recording day. In all, Chris would need to raise approx. £1000 for the project.

So the proposal is this: if sufficient financial support could be raised (e.g. 20 contributors @ £50 each), the recording could be made, with each contributor receiving a CD recording of the Symphony and the opportunity (if desired) to attend the recording sessions on July 18th.

I have agreed with Chris to act as 'treasurer' for the project, so cheques can be sent to me (payable to A. K. Howe) if you are interested. Chris has already received one pledge of £100 towards the recording. 

Please, therefore, do let me know by email or by PM via this website whether you are interested in contributing to this worthwhile project and how much you might be able to afford to donate.

Alan Howe

Sharkkb8

Aloha, Alan and all - have those planning this recording considered a "Kickstarter" project, or similar?  Michael Samis did rather well with his, and taking nothing away from the good and fine appeal on this forum, a Kickstarter project might cast a wider net.  Perhaps a Paypal (or similar) option as well, to simply the payment process?

Gregory

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelsamis/a-forgotten-cello-concerto

jerfilm

I agree with Gregory.  A kickstarter would be an easier way to publicize and also to collect the cash.  I'm sure we would be in for $50 US.

Jerry

Alan Howe

Gentlemen: we're going to use PayPal for donations. Details to follow ASAP...

Mark Thomas

If you want to make a donation using PayPal, Alan and I have agreed that we'll use the raff.org PayPal account. Please send your donation via PayPal to:

sales@raff.org with the reference Cliffe Symphony Recording, together with your name (if it isn't obvious from your email address).

eschiss1

Out of curiosity if I may (if this isn't the wrong thread &c) - I see from Worldcat that Soundpost Publishing (Mallorca) has an edition (Editor Mr. Lionel Harrison) of the Cliffe Symphony No.2 in E minor published in 2010. Is that the first-ever (...known, movable-type/non-manuscript/...) publication of the work?

Mark Thomas

musiclover

A bit of a waste having it played by an amateur orchestra isn't it?

thalbergmad

I say sir, that strikes me as being a little harsh.

Thal

Alan Howe

Far too harsh. The Lambeth Orchestra are pretty good - easily good enough for a recording. And remember: Chris F. is a Cliffe expert.

musiclover

Sorry if my comment sounded harsh, it wasn't intended as a slight to amateur orchestras, but I feel a work of this importance should be given the fairest chance of a hearing by being recorded by a professional orchestra. One thinks of the recordings that were made in Edinburgh of Sullivan's Ivanhoe. However committed to the project they were, the resulting recording did nothing to enhance or even convince anyone that Ivanhoe was not an opera of much interest, a view now reassessed by the more recent performances on disc by David Lloyd Jones and a professional organisation.
However good or not half bad any amateur orchestra may be, it is my opinion that if the Cliffe Symphony 2 is really a good work then it is surely worth attempting to make the best recording possible. A performance in a hall, well fine that's fine, but something that will be on disc forever and taking the accolade of world premier recording, thus putting off any of our more enterprising smaller labels from taking this work, can do less of a service than is perhaps hoped. I am not advocating Mr. Fifield not to record the work, but I would suggest that perhaps he should be trying to raise serious money through our forum in order to make a recording that has a chance.
I also was not attempting to undermine Mr. Fifield's credentials as a "Cliffe" expert, although I personally find the idea of anyone being labelled as an "expert" in any composer, thus implying that they alone could undertake that composer's work, rather uninspiring.

Alan Howe

Well, the project is set up with the Lambeth Orchestra. Of course, there's always the possibility that the recording may lead to one with a professional orchestra, but I personally trust Chris Fifield to do a good job - friends should recall the superlative recording he made of Symphony 1 on Sterling.

Finally, to call Chris "a Cliffe expert" is merely a statement of fact and in no way implies that he alone could undertake a recording - that is a non-sequitur. 

Aramiarz

Dear Alan
  This rescue is very important, the score is complete in 4 movements? What Other works will be include? I have the Symphony in Sterling And his violin concert in Hyperion, I like the music. I think so that paypal is good option for support the project. This project will be release in Sterling?

Alan Howe

The project is a purely private one. There is no intention to release the recording on a commercial label.

Aramiarz

Dear Alan
Ok!! moreover the symphony what other works will be performance?