Cliffe Symphony No.2 Recording Project

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 05 November 2014, 15:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Perhaps Mr Fifield could be invited over to Mexico to make a fully commercial recording, Aramiarz?

Aramiarz

Dear Alan,
     Your idea is very good! I will research in England ambassy can help us with some costs

Alan Howe

I hope that you have success with such a project.

Aramiarz

We are searching about some ambassy for help us. For example the Norway in Mexico maybe help us for Haarklou 3rd And piano concert, And Goethe Institute ( Germany), maybe help us for Scharwenka Philipp symphony, VC And symphonic poem traum und wirklichkeit. In one month We will receive answer about Scharwenka Project

Alan Howe

Returning to Cliffe's Symphony No.2, I am again struck by how advanced the work was for 1892. Parry and Stanford seem positively staid by comparison and, of course, Elgar wouldn't write a symphony for another decade and a half. If those who bought the CD haven't given it a spin for a while, I'd be interested in your views...

Why on earth the work hasn't yet been commercially recorded is anyone's guess. It's a major piece in the jigsaw puzzle of British symphonism.

alexi

Hi, is it possible for anyone who has the recording to provide me with a digital copy of it? I didn't know it existed and I wanted to hear it ever since I knew Cliffe made it. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help me.

Please see next post...
Alan Howe/Moderator

Alan Howe

Digital copies must NOT be made of this recording - which only came about through the generosity of, among others, members of this forum. It would be quite unfair on those who financed the venture if free copies were to escape (and probably end up on YouTube).

For copies, please contact Chris Fifield himself at:
cgfifield@btinternet.com

alexi

Sorry, didn't want to violate the rules. I had contacted Chris Filfield in the meantime and there were still copies left.

Alan Howe

The rule, of course, doesn't just apply to the recording in question here, but to any commercial recording. Making digital copies is theft.

M. Yaskovsky

Come on Alexi, for such an adventuring enterprise around 15 GBP isn't very much for a physical CD!

Alan Howe

Of course it isn't.

In any case, why should there be an expectation of getting something for nothing?

Gareth Vaughan

I think, to be fair, Alexi made the request believing the disk was no longer available.
But as it would appear Chris still has some copies left there is no longer a problem in obtaining this recording.

FBerwald

..I made a purchase of this CD earlier this year from Chris... worth every penny!

Jimfin

Just received my copy in Japan. What an amazingly atmospheric work! What might this composer have achieved had he not retired from composition?

christopherfifield

My apologies for not posting for so long - health issues have distracted me for much of 2017. Let's hope 2018 turns out to be better. I do have half a dozen or so copies of Cliffe 2 if any members wish to contact me (cgfifield@btinternet.com). There has been a flurry of activity recently from UK, USA, Japan, Germany, Belgium with most buying it as Xmas presents for themselves (and why not?!), demonstrating how good it is that though we are scattered around the world, we share a common interest in Unsung Composers. I have always read your views with interest and have a mighty high respect for your knowledge and enthusiasm. Long may it thrive!